How to enter the workforce after a decade?

I am trying to enter back into the workforce after a decade at home with the kids. I had a part-time job but now I am looking for full-time days. I use to look in the paper for employment. Now its all on line. Could someone tell me what is networking and what are the best sites?

MiJeTyHa

Asked by MiJeTyHa at 9:09 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• Networking is getting to know people in your chosen profession.
    The best site really depends on where you are and what you are looking to go into.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You may want to consider seeking out a career services center in your area and signing up. The services are generally provided for free or low cost and these folks can help you to dust off & update your resume, bursh up on your interview skills and to make contact with the local job market by providing leads & links to additional resources, including networking opportunities(making contact with people who do what you do or want to do).

Good luck!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'm guessing you already have a good resume written if you're at the networking stage. I would still continue to look in the paper and online. Networking is getting to know other business people. It's what you'd do at a job fair or a chamber of commerce meeting. It's getting to know what other business professionals know and need and how you can fill that need. If you're looking to network online, I suggest a website called LinkedIn. If you have any questions on how the site works and how to get active in it, pm me.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It really comes down to how your resumes and cover letters are written, and how well you have maintained your office skills. Stay-at-home parents have many “soft skills” that employers value: time management, logistics, budgeting¸ etc. Chances are, you have also done a lot of volunteer work, too. Hopefully, you kept up with your pre-SAHM career and kept your computer skills up-to-date.
    Start your job search with an up-to-date Linkedin profile. Go to a local community college and get MicroSoft office certifications, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint; also take a bookkeeping class.
    There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms
    Also, I do career and job search coaching; I am always happy to help CafeMoms (and Dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy and interview prep.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• At its simplest, your network is everyone you know. Networking is just getting out and meeting people

Answer by rkoloms at 8:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010