How do you regulate cell phones, computer Facebook, for night time with school?

It seems that my two girls (15 and 13) would spend forever on their cell phones and Facebook if I let them. They are literally on the computer and phones until they close their eyes. With school started now, I want to have a schedule for them regarding phone usage and Facebook usage. They are like any typical teenage girl who wants to know what all their friends are doing what seems like "all the time!!" Does anyone have a system/schedule that they have enforced that could work for me. What are your rules regarding cell phone and Facebook??? Any advice would be great!!!!!

Frankie64

Asked by Frankie64 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Have them hand over their phones at a certain time and turn off the computer at a certain as well.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would collect the cell phones once they are in the shower, getting ready for bed; disconnect the computer and or internet device before their shower times. You have to remember how sneaky you were as a teen in order to stay a step ahead!!! They are going to give you hell for doing this; but explain to them that you would truly love to see them give school and careers as much emphasis as they do their beloved electronics, there fore you are trying to see it happen, because they are not able to see beyond this moment!!! Got to love it; being a parent!!!! GL & BW
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You have them place all cell phones, ipods and laptops, on the counter/dining room table/kitchen table.....someplace, until ALL of their school work is complete. ONCE the work is completed, they can have their toys back. Set a specific time for showers and bed, and at that time, their phones, ipods and computers once again go back to the charging stations.

I also recommend that laptops only be used in communal areas, and not locked away in their rooms. As a parent it is essential that you know that they are doing when they are on-line.

If their grade decline, then you tighten the rules.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:46 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• At my house the internet stops working at 1030 during school. And cell phones can just be taken for the night. Also if you have Verizon you can set time limits on cell phones. But taking them is easier.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The cell phones get handed over about 9:30 pm. I looked at one of their call logs and saw calls and texts going on way to late so I take them now. My girls arent that big on facebook but you should set a time when its done for the night.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We also take up phones and shut off computers.Other than a short break after practice there isn't any FB till after homework is done.I do check if they are using their laptops for homework.I will scroll on history to check for FB.There isn't a lot of issues with these boys concerning the phones and computers because they grew up watching older siblings for a loose short term tech devices for being on FB,myspace or IM for the oldest instead of homework or if grades dropped.Being consistent with enforcing guidelines works great for us.Just one day banned gets quick compliance.Ummm a day without a computer is horrors HAHAHAHAHAHA meanmom meanmom meanmom that can be my name at times hehe

drfink

Answer by drfink at 10:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My mother in law has a 14 year old and a 12 year old. They get to chose 1/2 a day for each thing or can use the whole hour on one and not get the other that day. The nieghbor has a 13 year old and uses the same system except the girl gets an hour on each or two hours on one. It seems to work very well if you enforce it and I think it is fair. My mom lets my 15 year old brother use both whenever he wants and he constantly falls asleep in school and looks tired. Teens cant regulate themselves. You need to do it.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• TAKE THEM AWAY! You are the parent!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• As long as they are getting their work done and getting up for school in the morning, I don't ever plan to limit this stuff... I see no point. Part of growing up is learning how to balance what you want with what you have to do, how do they learn that if they don't make a few mistakes now and then?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• YOu simply make and enforce the rules.

Our rule... cell phone off durning homework and dinner.... docked at 9pm.
    Facebook.... off during homework... off at 9pm.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010