Spinoff of another restaurant question: Do you buy the 'kits' and such to make 'restaurant style' foods at home?

Like the newest big thing I have noticed in the grocery store are the chinese food kits. They have "everything you need to make sweet and sour chicken at home".

I usually don't because I have tried a few before and it NEVER looks or tastes like the food from the restaurant, lol.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you want to cook your favorite Restaurant dishes at home, go to the library and borrow the series of books by Todd Wilbur called Top Secret Restaurant Recipes... My mom gave me a copy of Volume 2. I have mastered Applebee's Santa Fe Chicken... These books are awesome. I have a little file of Clone cards with all my favorites, from the secret sauce at McD's to Buffalo Wild Wings signature wing sauces. I can reproduce just about all my favorites. Love it.... plus they have the clone recipes for all sorts of other things. Like, for example, I use Lipton Onion Soup Mix in many different recipes. Normally I buy generic...now I make my own, since I found out that there are only 5 ingredients that most of us have in our cabinets...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No, i never use those. I've always been a cook from scratch kind of person. I always think i can make it better...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Absolutely not. We have "chinese/vietnamise/thai take out night"- but we cook from scratch. It's incredibly easy, and so much better than the americanized versions.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No, I find meals that are mostly prepared are just plain gross. I make it from scratch or we eat it in a restaurant if it is something I can't/won't make myself.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Nope. They always have some sort of rice or pasta component (seems they're always either Asian or Italian) and I have never seen pasta or rice frozen tv-dinner style that came out well reheated. I know how to freeze them when I make them, but it seems that is not the method used when flash freezing things for packaging.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No, I don't buy those, I'd rather try and cook it myself, although, most restaurant dishes that I would want to try and way fattening and I am on the never ending diet. Sigh.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I've tried them, and thought they were gross, lol. The only "restaurant style" thing I've bought that was actually really good was a TGI Fridays (I think that's the brand that it was) fajitas. I was surprised that they actually turned out to be fairly decent.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Every once in a while my daughter will persuade me to try one.Never very good .The main thing I can't master is Indian food so we just eat out for that.Though I read about a new line of Indian sauces to add to protein and veggies so tonight I am trying again.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No. I prefer to find a copycat recipe (Todd Wilbur's are GREAT) and make things from scratch. They often taste better than the restaurant foods.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The only ones I like are the frozen PF Chang meals. They are expensive so I don't buy them. My mom recently moved and gave me a bunch of them.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010