american residents?

I came to the usa to 'visit' my fiance, he's american, we then got married abd now have a daughter together, I have 2 kids from a previous marriage. I never changed my visa status and at the moment we can't afford to. Any tips or suggestions for how we can stay safely legal? I Don't wanna be deported!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• to stay legal, you need to update your visa.
    Anonymous

• He needs to file for a so called "spouse-visa" for you or you need to file for a "green card through marriage"-visa... you better do it as soon as possible. If the US govt. will find out you have been there illegal for only one day they can deport you and probably wont let you back in for a few years.

If you cant afford to file for any of those visas, then you guys wont even be able to handle all the other requirements ... which are also expensive as hell.

So I suggest that you be careful. They will deport your butt withing a heartbeat. So if you are in the states now (without a valid visa), then you better hide or go file for one quickly.

good luck to you and your family.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• If you have a tourist Visa, the ONLY way to update it is by going to your home country's embassy and requesting a new Visa. But they wouldn't let you return to the USA because they saw that you stayed past your visitation limit. Tourist Visas are one of the top five ways immigrants come over here...but then find that they can't go anywhere. (My boyfriend is in the same boat as you except we're not married.)

But since you're married to an American, you NEED to go find an immigration lawyer (they're kind of expensive, sorry!) and apply for a green card. That is the ONLY way to become "legal"...you won't be a citizen yet though, there's more steps you have to take to become a complete American citizen.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• (continued)
    And just so you know...since you're married to an American and have an American child, they probably won't deport you anytime soon. My boyfriend and many many members of his family have lived comfortably here for many years...and none of them have even been threatened with deportation =] They're more likely to take away felons and people with outstanding warrants, or people that are stupid and draw too much attention to themselves. Message me if you want to talk about anything =]
    caitxrawks

• "If you have a tourist Visa, the ONLY way to update it is by going to your home country's embassy and requesting a new Visa."

^^^thats a wrong information. You do NOT need to -go- to your home country's embassy. You can download all the visa forms online and send them to the embassy (incl the checks for the payment)... Ive been through it when i was in the USA with a tourist visa and wasnt married to my hubby yet.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Okay, whatever. My boyfriend is from freaking Costa Rica and this is the information he gave me. Don't shoot the messenger =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2008