do an of you have a menu plan

Im so sick of figuring out what to make for dinner at the last minute. I have a picky dh who will say I feel like this tonight so I have to go to the store and get the stuff and I would rather not do this anymore.lol So do you have one and do you do it weekly? monthly?

okmommy08

Asked by okmommy08 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I grocery shop for 2wks at a time, and on the side of my list I will mark down tentative meals to cover the 2 wks and buy what I need for those meals. I usually have 'filler' meals -- like spaghetti, frozen pizza and fixings for casserole or pot pie on hand-- just to give a few extra choices. I post the meal list on the fridge and usually pick, something in the morning or sometimes I will ask the kids what they feel like having (If I can't decide what I want to fix). Every once in a while I will leave it up for hubs to decide (and fix) when he gets home. Those are usually the nights we have 'quick and easy' like spaghetti, tacos, hamburgers or grilled food.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I do a weekly meal plan. I have found it helps so much and we spend less money.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have a dry erase board on my fridge with this weeks dinners planned out however they are subject to change often LOL
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I make a loose plan when I do my shopping every other week. It's not set in stone and if my husband brings something home from work or something, whatever we were going to have that night gets pushed back to another.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I had a friend who rotated menus every 2 weeks. I've tried it, but never stuck with it. But I have heard to ask your LO's their most favorite 14 meals and buy the stuff only for those, every 2 weeks.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I actually have a binder in my Kitchen that is entitled: Dinner Menus... It has an assortment of recipes and the shopping lists to go with them arranged by the week. I have to plan ahead because you can only do so much with $75 a week feeding 5 people. Today, I am working on a new chapter called Menus by the Month. I have an order going to Angel Food Ministries and I need to get that to last the entire month. The joy in that is, after my discount the cost is only $79.00, which should free up some cash to restock my pantry. My family doesn't have a choice in their meals...unless they are buying it, cooking it, and cleaning it up for themselves.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I plan about a week ahead, but it often changes. Leftover lasting longer, or unexpectedly bringing in take out. Tonight, for example, I'd planned to cook some frozen fish, fix brocolli, and cucumber salad. But we just found out that my uncle is in town, and I am never very happy with the way I cook fish, so I invited him to come for Kentucky Fried. Just as well anyway since it is to be hot today and I won't have to heat up the kitchen. But this means the fish meal will be pushed back a day or so.

Answer by Bmat at 10:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No I don't but thinking about it now that it was mentioned. Seems like the other ladies that replied your question have some good points to using one.

By the way my dh is the same way with having a craving for something, However I do not think it is as often as yours. I don't mind running out and grabbing the ingredients and making it though. It gives me a few moments to my self and a chance to get out of the house.
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I plan my menu weekly based on the sales at our local grocery store... and the coupons I have... I spend about $160/month on food... we eat out once a week at a sandwich place by our church where kids eat free on Sundays
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I plan out for a month at a time. Store sales RARELY match the prices I find at our local salvage grocery/bulk food store and Save A Lot, which is where I do 99% of my shopping. When I did shop around store sales, I spent more money because I had to plan around their sales and pick up things that had to go with their sales, which did not save money.
    I pick my recipes from a list of over 60 meals that we like, figure out what I need to make them, make a list, and go shopping! My monthly groceries for a family of 4 adults, 1 teen, and 2 tweens average around $250 a month or less. When planning what to eat and when, I keep in mind that I have to be flexible so it really helps to buy all at one time and have the ingredients on hand instead of having to run to the store for one thing.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2010