How would YOU handle a loud, rude, obnoxious neighbor?

So at least several times a week our next door neighbors sit outside playing really loud music, yelling, sometimes cursing at each other till pretty late at night (ie...1 am). We just moved in a few weeks ago and live in a nice subdivision. They seem like the kind of people that probably wouldn't respond well to just a nice " could you tone it down a notch?" I wont even let the kids play outside in the evening because of the bad language. How do I handle this?

cmorbeauty

Asked by cmorbeauty at 10:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Calling the police would be your best bet.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you have a HOA, complain. Otherwise, call the cops. That is what I had to do when my neighbors mistook their house for a nightclub
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I had a neighbor who used to play loud music and either have gay sex or a wicked all male wrestling matches till three or four am(lots and lots of loud, deep groaning and banging, not that there's anything wrong with that). I bought him a box of Godiva and a card in which I put a picture of my newborn in it, with a note that we were trying to teach her to sleep through the night. Worked like a charm
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I live on an army base, i would call the MPs. no one really risks it because if they get called more then once they can loose pay or have cleaning duty etc
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 10:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Calling the police and file a complaint would be your best bet.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:09 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Find out if they own or are renting. If they are renting call their landlord. If the music is blaring late and you dont want to talk to them directly call the police. Im so sorry you are going through this. 2 years ago some new renters moved in and wow it was a party there every night, cussing, fighting, the police there and thats not normal for our small town. Luckily they skipped out on rent and left. Talk to some of your other neighbors see if they are having problems as well with them.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Most cities here have noise ordinances. You could send them a copy of it in the mail. And if they don't get the point, then call the cops.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• LOL sorry had to laugh we had the same thing. My stereo was louder then theirs. I put Rachmaninov on and cranked it. they stopped, but that's me. Your best bet is to talk to them if it doesn't stop then file a compliant.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would talk to other neighbors and ask if they are bothered, how long has this been going on, if the noisy ones are renters. If they are renters I would call the landlord (and ask others to do the same) and let them know the renters are partying and loud and that if something is not done about you will call them (landlord) and police EACH time you are disturbed. If they own the house then I would call the police each time you are disturbed. Good luck, I hope everything works out and you get peace and quiet soon!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I LOVE lovinangels' answer.

We DID call the cos on our neighbors multiple times; didn't help much. What DID help, though, was that the owner's ex-wife, mom to the college kid in the house, stayed there to house sit for a few weeks when Dad was out of the country. She got the place cleaned up a bit, stopped the all night parties and even got her son to mow OUR lawn along with theirs (our lawns are adjoining).

Answer by gdiamante at 10:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010