Do you help your kids to get ready for school?

I have a 7 & 9 yr. old and I have to litterally help them just to avoid me from yelling and getting all upset just so they'll be out the door on time...they can do it they just need a push. when my dh is at home they do get themselves ready. But like for me they are more relaxed I even tried going to another room and telling them they need to be ready or I WILL tell your dad (since I don't seem to phase them) there are times they do good but sometimes I want to help just to make sure it is done right :/ (I guess)... thank you ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't. Half the time, she's already ready when I go to wake her up. She's 5. But she likes to take time to make sure her outfit for the day is just perfect and her hair is done. When I do have to wake her up, I'll just say her name and she's out of bed and doing her thing. :-) Very luck I suppose. I know my mom plays Hell getting my 9 year old sister out the door every morning.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• nope. I lay out my son's uniform and he knows that he is responsible for eatting breakfast, getting dressed, packing his lunch and brushing teeth. He has until I get out of the shower to eat breakfast, if he is not done by then, it goes in the trash.

This kid would take an hour to eat a bowl of cereal if I didn't put a time limit on it, so he knows the drill. He is 9 and in the 4th grade.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My kids are really great about getting ready for school on their own as long as the tv isnt on... I have a 10 yo girl and she does everything on her own and I have 2 boys 4 and 6 and all I have to do is hand them their clothes (to make sure they match) and they do the rest...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I turn on my 6 yr olds light and say it is time to get up. Put her cloths on the bed, get her toothbrush ready, brush out and then I am off to help my 3 yr old. She will get up, get dressed, brush her teeth and brush her hair. Come down stairs and get her breakfast. Then when she is done eating she will watch a bit of TV before we have to leave for her bus.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My daughters are 5 & 3.. We pick out their school clothes the night before.. We get up at 6:40.. My 3 year olds bus comes at 7:20.. and she is fully ready (dressed, teeth brushed, shoes on, hair fixed, etc) by 7:00 or so. She does all but her hair by herself. My 5 year olds bus comes at 7:40 but she is ready by about 7:10 or.. & she also does everything but her hair by herself.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We had this problem with my son for a while. I started simply telling him that he has an hour and fifteen minutes from the time he gets up to get ready, and at 7:45 we were walking out the door, regardless of what state he was in. I would then remind him every fifteen minutes how much time he had. I have seen my son get ready for school-breakfast, brushing teeth and hair, washing his face, getting dressed, and doing his few chores in half an hour, so I know he is capable of doing it in more than double the time. We left at 7:45 no exceptions. The one time we didn't was because it was 7:43 and he was in his pajamas. I told him he had five minutes to get dressed because his clothes were already laid out. So we left a little late. He was going to school in pajamas, or with his hair uncombed. It lasted about a week. After that, he was ready early every day. I wouldn't have pushed him so hard, except that I knew he could do it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Mine do it all for themselves but we put clothes out the night before. my oldest dd is 11 1/2 she is my lazy one my 10 , ad 8 and my twins7 do aall themselves to get ready
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 10:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have 3 in school. I get them up. While they are getting ready I make breakfast and lunches. I also keep them on track about what time it is.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Mine are 14, 12 and 4. I do go in their room and say "time to get up for school" and I do fix them a quick breakfast or let them get their own (depending on what they eat). My oldest is good about getting up, dressed and ready, the middle is my 'lazy' one and I have to go in there many times and tell him to get his butt moving or else! I now tell him that if he is not up and ready when we are he will be walking! (and the middle school is 1/2 mile away-- instead of the 2 blocks away for elementary school). So I am thinking he will be up and ready cause he won't want to walk "that far". They are responsible for picking out their clothes, packing the backpacks and having shoes, coats and such ready to go.
    My youngest I do help him dress, fix him something to eat and make sure his stuff is ready to go-- when it is his school time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I should tell you that my son was 7/8 at the time. This was about a year ago. This year he isn't getting his chores done before he goes to school, but he is way more concerned about his looks so he is using face wash and actually styling his hair now instead of just brushing it. So I give him some leeway there. That and he does his chores in about ten minutes after school anyway.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2010