Advice About (Adult) Mattresses

I'm furnishing our guest bedroom (hopefully before relatives visit to see my DD, expected in October!). Well, it's a small room. I think a full-size bed would be better than a queen because of that, but DH says that two people cannot sleep comfortably on a full. He wants to opt for a queen. Our relatives aren't large in terms of height and weight so I think it'd be fine for a couple to sleep on a full-size mattress for a couple of nights. Thoughts?

Asked by SMH2010 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• For a couple of nights, a full size is fine. Heck, we slept on a full for nearly two years before we got the queen. If it's just for a while, a full is just fine.

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you need the space id say go with the full. Its not like its always gonna be used and when it is its only for a few nights. When my husband and I first started sleeping together we slept together in a twin size bed. It was uncomfortable but we managed! lol

Answer by mommyofone15 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• full size sounds perfectly fine to me.
    my way of looking at it is if my guests aren't comfortable, they can always get a hotel. I might just be a bit jaded by all the idiots that think since I moved to FL, my house is free lodging for a beach vacation. LOL

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think a full is fine, if they don't like it they can always shell out the bucks to go to a hotel. I have a funny story about visiting a relative with a full size bed in the guest room. My husband is tall... 6'3 and when we stayed at my grandma's house he had to sleep with a chair at the end of the bed because his legs hung off the end. That would not have been a bog deal except the bed had a footboard that stood about 2 inches over the top of the bed, so he couldn't just let his legs hang off because the footboard hurt his legs. When I told my grandma the predicament, she couldn't believe it... she said she never had anyone too tall for her guest bed before. She went on and on about it the whole time we were there and told everybody she saw...she thought it was so weird.

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I prefer a queen and I am only 5'2"

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• yeah, get the full bed that way they won't overstay their welcome ahaha

Answer by elizabiza at 11:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• yeah a full is fine so guest dont get to comfortable and stay for ever lol

Answer by pamnjim at 11:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• A full sized mattress is fine, my ex and I had one for many years before we bought a queen.

Answer by Scuba at 11:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• a full size is fine hubby and i had a full size in our other appartment for the same reason it was to small and we both slept perfectly fine

Answer by Alejandra10 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would go with a queen.  We have a queen in our computer room.  My husband built a murphy bed type of thing and when no one is visiting, the mattress is strapped up against the wall.  We bought wooden slats for under the mattress from Ikea, instead of a box springs.  The wooden slats and the steel frame are in the attic.  When someone comes to visit then my husband sets up the bed and it takes less than half an hour.  We have a curtain that covers the mattress when it's up against the wall.  We also use bed height extenders to make the bed a normal height since there isn't a box springs.  If you can afford a real murphy bed, I would go with that, but they aren't cheap. 

Answer by Christina807 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010