cough remedies while breastfeeding

i have come down with a bad cough and am scared to take anything while breastfeeding. I've tried googleing and I don't feel like I'm getting concrete answers. I have been gargling salt water, using saline spray and taking vitamin C. I took tylenol for a headache this morning, but I'm looking for something to help supress my cough. Can I use cough drops? Does anyone know if tylenol cold is safe? Robitussin seemed iffy... I am also open to any safe natural or home remedies. Thank you in advance. I feel horrible :(

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• If you go to google and type in Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk you will find the American Academy of Pediatrics position statement on breastfeeding. It lists the drugs that are contraindicated (you can't take) while breastfeeding. They are things like chemotherarpy and radioactive drugs. Cold and cough medications arn't contraindicated. Almost all meds can be taken by breastfeeding moms.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• While Gailll has some helpful information, keep in mind that those meds that are safe for breastfeeding will still transfer to the fetus and to baby via breast milk.

If you are looking for a natural solution, honey is a natural cough supressant and there is no limit to how much you can take.
    My mother took Ludeman's cough drops with my brother and he's not been sick but a couple times in 40 years, LOL
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Anything Tylenol is safe. So's Robitussin. You have to work really hard to find an unsafe over the counter med. No Nyquil.. just because it's a knockout med and you don't need to be knocked out.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I drink hot tea with honey and lemon.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010