Do/have you lived w you In-laws?

for how long did or has it last? what made you do it?

i live w my MIL right now, cuz i was suppose to move here w the kids for a fw months to get me and the kids to texas w my DH, well things changed, and he came home.. so we are still here almost 2 years later....

Trin0714

Asked by Trin0714 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• I haven't, I would rather live on the street.....
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah, we lived with my MIL for two years. It was after my FIL died and she needed help. We helped with the groceries, cooking and taking care of the younger two after school. We just moved back into our own place this past February.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have, for about 3 months and hated it!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Never have.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I did for almost a full year. We moved back home after my hubby got out of the navy with the understanding that my brother would get him a job where he works....well, that fell through and he was unemployed for awhile and when he finally did find a job it wasn't enough to move out on. We had to wait until he started college, he was using the GI Bill which also gives you a certain amount of basic allowable housing. I wouldn't choose to live there, but we needed to at that point. We eventually had to move out because my mom kind of likes to run things and she wasn't running our lives.
    And Mommy2Gabrielle, you might say that for yourself but when its your daughter who is also living on the street, I think you'd change your mind.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No. I know we wouldn't all make it out alive.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes, my MIL lives with me, my hubby, my two kids and a dog. Her health and living situation was bad. We had just bought a house and had the room...so we asked her to move in. She is doing well and doing her own thing. Fortunately we all get along fairly well. I think the kids benefit from being around their grandma. Prior to that, they only saw her once or twice a year because we lived about 7 hours away. It has been about 5 years now that she has been with us.
    ALynn123

Answer by ALynn123 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• we still pay electric and grocery's and water just no rent
    Trin0714

Comment by Trin0714 (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Hubs and I have never lived with his family (thankfully) but we did live with my mom for almost 2 yrs. We had lived in the upstairs of an old house -- ( it was not good for my health due to the cigarette smoke from the downstairs person, and mildew, mold, dust conditions )- so we asked my mom if we could live with her while we saved up $ for a house of our own. She said yes. It was not too bad living with her, we did pay her rent, helped with the cooking, cleaning, groceries, hubs did the yard work and snow shoveling. We got along for the most part--although there were times when we were a bit annoyed with each other over certain things (like doing dishes).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I lived with them for three months, while my husband was signing up for the Air Force, and left because I couldn't stand the way she kept making me feel. She was talking about me behind my back (to everyone, even my husband, who told me everything she said), and I didn't appreciate some of the things she said to my face, so one day, after coming back from visiting my parents and hearing her say to my husband that she thought I was going to stay there, I packed up all my things and had my dad come get me and our son. My husband joined me a few months later, when the snow let up enough (we had a bad winter, lol), and we stayed with them (happily) until my husband was told that the Air Force was dropping him because of his tattoo and we found the place we live in now. Now I don't have anything to do with her, especially because of the way she treats my best friend (husband's cousin's wife).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2010