Brother and sister share a room?

For how long is "okay" for a brother and sister to share a room? 3 and 2 at the moment.

Trin0714

Asked by Trin0714 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• until one is 5.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My brother and I did until I was like 7... he was 4
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You may want to check with CPS for your state. I called my state to find out if there were rules about how many people can live in an apartment. I may need to live with my son and his family while I'm on a waiting list for an apartment and I didn't want to do anything that could get them in trouble with CPS. They were really nice when I called and they were glad someone was trying to avoid a problem. It turned out CPS where I live now doesn't have ruled about number of people living in an apt or house. The state I used to live in had rules.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• as long as you want. i was wondering the same thing recently, and looked up state laws. apparently there are no laws in any state saying kids of different gender cannot share a room. doesn't even say ages. now, if you're in a custody battle, or there is an issue of sexual orientation, and CPS gets involved, them sharing a room could become a problem. a spouse could hold that against the other during a custody battle. but legally sharing a room at any age is fine.

morally, however, that depends on your kids. it's kind of like deciding when it's the right time to let them stop taking a bath together, it's all on you and them.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• sorry, incest. not orientation lol. guess i was typing before thinking
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• LOL army!
    Trin0714

Comment by Trin0714 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I am with armywife here! I also looked it up. There are no laws stating that. If that's the case what does a military fam with 5 kids do? What to poor people with a 2 bedroom do? I know a ton of Single moms that have a boy and a girl sleeping in the same room because they only have a 1 bed apartment because it's all they can afford. Call CPS then...I highly doubt they will waste tax dollars putting your kids up in foster care when they are being clothed fed and not beaten...
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would say until they don't want to anymore. .
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• yeah, its up to you, up to your kids and if they are comfortable, if you have the room to separate them... but there aren't any laws that dictate this.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2010