Help! How do I market my money saving blog/site? Do I need to seek the press??

I have had a blog/site for a year and a half. Having trouble promoting it without spending money. Any ideas that really work? Should I submit press release or contact local tv/radio?

Asked by ALynn123 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• word of mouth is better advertising than press, do you have friends that go to your site?? Have them talk about it

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Make up cheap business cards and leave them everywhere you go. Public bathrooms, restaurant tables, dressing rooms, whatever!!

Answer by m-avi at 10:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I belong to three blog groups here on CM. Without them, I wouldn't have any traffic to my blog at all. Many of the ladies have Facebook and Twitter pages dedicated to their blogs.

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• make your link your signature..make a facebook page..

Answer by swaney06 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Not just one marketing technique works.. I would suggest multiple advertising methods. Facebook fan page or group, twitter posts daily, cafemom etc.  However, I have found in my years of working online that there are a few "key" things to remember.  When I say key.. I'm really stressing the "keys" to success.  (continued below due to word limit :)

Answer by imomnews at 11:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• cont....
    1..Simple posting your ad everywhere online does not do justice. "connecting or networking with others is super..duper important. 2..And THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is to market correctly by using email marketing. I cannot express how important this is and how much sales and signups increase with any company when you use email marketing. I have written an article about this if you are interested in learning more.  Hope this helps.. let me know if you have any questions.

Answer by imomnews at 12:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I do have facebook and twitter which are updated daily or multiple times a day. I have shared my site with family and friends. I also have my blog feed on various other sites like, FrugalFocus and a few others. My blog caters to anyone in the country (and beyond), offering money saving, money making tips, store deals and more.

Thanks so much for all the great ideas! Please keep 'em coming!

Comment by ALynn123 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Hi Alynn, I'm surprised no one mentioned article marketing. That's the one technique that most bloggers use to publicize their site. You want to make sure you have optimized your site for the search engines and that your using the right keywords. Also, creating a press release about your website might help a great deal. Here are some more website marketing ideas you might want to try.

Answer by HealthyMom62 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I've noticed personal financial bloggers posting on each other's sites lately. You put your blog site in your short bio. See if you can make some sort of reciprocal arrangement with other bloggers. There are plenty of them out there.

Answer by oddfox at 1:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010