I'd like sell Cards and 8x8 ready-for-your-pics scrapbooks at crafts fairs...

...but I just don't know where to start. I was thinking of selling the cards as singles, and packeaged in 3 or 4 packs wrapped up in a ribbon. I was also thinking that I could make some gift baskets with the Greeting cards (blank inside) plus some other items. (like some tea cup themed cad with a mug & some tea bags, etc. Anyone do somthing like this? What things have worked for you? What has flopped?? Any input would be appriciated ;o)

Morgain

Asked by Morgain at 10:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• as a customer of craft fairs (LOVE THEM!!), i'd be more likely to buy singles or some packaged together..gift baskets don't usually sell well, but they are big attention getters from passersby. i'm not interested in buying something bulky, to have to carry around the fair. now, if the fair you're involved in is smallish, and/or most customers have those niftly 'craft fair' carts to wheel around, ok.
    otherwise, it sounds like a great idea! just have a big variety of fronts/subjects/styles/colors.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• All of your ideas sound cute. My experience of selling crafts is that you don't get your time's worth in income. And if you sell over $600 you have to pay income tax, and you'll need a retail tax number, at least in this state. For your item, unless you are inside, you'll also have to worry about weather - rain, humidity. Best of luck to you, I hope it works out. I have seen your product in little boutique shops in tourist areas, so you may want to try those, only they usually take 30-50% of profit.

Answer by Bmat at 10:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Thanks so much Ladies. I was thinking the same about the gift baskets... either keep them small or just make up one or two to "showcase" the items I am selling. I know I won't get back labor, but I would be happy to pay for my materials and have a little left over to buy more supplies.

Morgain

Comment by Morgain (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• One time I set up at a mall fair day, and I did not sell one gift basket. The only thing that sold were the loose, one items
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 10:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Sounds fun! Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• yes sell them as singles
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2010