Transitioning from a small private school to public

My 7 yr old was in the same private school from pre-K through 1st grade, and this year I have decided to put her in public school to save her from the long commute and give her opportunities to make friends in our new neighborhood. Any suggestions to help her transition smoothy?

wishbearmom

Asked by wishbearmom at 11:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in

• We did this with my son at the same age, he had gone pre-K through 1st grade at a small private school, then moved to public school at the beginning of 2nd grade because I was pregnant, and no longer working.

Socially I don't think 2nd grade is a difficult transition. Gerrod had no trouble making friends, and the kids are still very young, and not as "clicky" as they can be when they get older.

The hard part for him was academically. He wasn't as challenged as he had been in the private school, and because the class sizes were larger, it took awhile for the teacher to see the problem. I had to keep an eye, and we eventually had him tested and moved to a more advanced class (it was called GATE at our school, but it's been awhile, and I'm sure different districts have different names.)

Anyway, I would watch that she's being challenged enough, and talk to the teacher as often as possible.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My kids just did that today and did fine without me doing anything. Last year they went to a small Catholic school. This year they are going to a larger public school. Today was their first day and they all had a blast (they are in 2nd, 3rd and 5th grades). For the younger 2 it was the first time riding the bus, first time not having to wear uniforms, etc (the oldest went to public school for kindy and 1st grade). They already made a bunch of friends, a few that even live on our street.
    The only thing I did was to remind them that things would be different but they were going to have fun and make friends. And that if they felt lost in anyway ask the teacher for help or another student.
    They did great. None of them were scared to go (even my anxiety prone kid).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It was the best thing that we ever did. My daughter was bored and obnoxious in private school, and blossomed when she started an academically advanced public school.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i wish u and han the best of luck and i know she will love her new school.
    crazyangel_52

Answer by crazyangel_52 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You might be pleasantly surprised, I love how email and programs like edline have made communication so much easier, my family has gone through many different school situations and good communication is key.
    kerryket

Answer by kerryket at 9:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

Next question in
IEP Advocate question

Next question overall (Preschoolers (3-4))
Preschool...