Best way to handle this situation?

My 24 month old and I are in line at the store waiting to check out and he's getting a new toy, which he is holding. When we get up to the register I explain to him that I have to give it to the cashier for a second so I can pay for it but he will get it right back. But, as soon as I take it for him he screams bloody murder. Should I

A.) Give it right back (after it's scanned) and tell him that's all I needed and he stops screaming (which is what I do/did) or

B.) Tell him that because he screamed, he now has to wait until we get home to play with the toy and leave the store with him screaming his head off

Or something else? And by giving it back to him am I teaching him it is okay to scream when he's mad?

Just looking for opinions! No need to be rude here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't give him the toy back...My 2 year old did the same thing a couple times, and I didn't let him have his toy then until we got home...now he hands the toy to the cashier, and is happy to get it right back..
    You might get some funny looks walking out of the store with a screaming toddler throwing a fit, but he'll figure it out that he can't throw fits when you ask him to do something.
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would have them scan it and then give it to him with the explanation you mentioned. Thats essentially what we did with DS and now he hands everything to the cashier, lol.
    keljo05

Answer by keljo05 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I usually have my child hand whatever it is she is holding to the cashier and the cashier will give it right back. This has decreased the amount of tantrums that we have while we are standing in line checking out. Whether it is a tube of toothpaste or her snacks that she picked out it makes life that much easier and then we put it in a bag that she carries to the car and puts in the trunk. I hope that you find a few more practical solutions.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• well, i tend to have my kiddos hand the cashier the toy themselves.... but if they start screaming, i won't give them the toy until they get home. but they seem to be more receptive about it if they are able to hand the toy over, themselves. (everything goes on the belt first, so they put it on the belt.... they love watching it go. lol.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My 2.5 yo knows that it has to go on the belt so I can pay for it. I have him place it there, then after it's been scanned I give it to him. It only took twice of me not buying the toy for him to figure out that he had to follow the rules or no toy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Oh my gosh, can we get any harsher? These are essentially babies we are talking about, how are they to understand they will get the toy back? They don't get it at that age! Especially 2!

I'm sure all kids do this, mine sure did. Try to get her to give the toy to the cashier to "pay for it", and if that doesn't work just do it yourself and give the toy back. After a while she'll learn how it works and you don't have to make your poor toddler miserable because they don't understand something.

Give the kid a break! (this is really meant to the replies, not you OP).
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 3:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• (except, they DO get it, or they wouldn't be able to change the behavior after only 2 times?)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 5:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I usually let my kids hand the toy to the cashier and the money to pay for it :) but if they threw a fit I wouldn't give it back til after they settled down. I think giving it back to settle them down sends the wrong impression.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well sure, after 2 times screaming and crying they might get it, but they don't get it at first. But why resort to making them scream and cry, when you can handle the situation so much kinder, and still get the same result?
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010