Why did God wait so long to appear to his creations?

Humans had an established civilization era going for several 1000s of yrs by the time Jesus was born. Why didn't God just make his appearance when mankind started developing civilization? Why allow us as a species to build pyramids and Greco-Roman style temples worshipping pagan gods for so long if he was "the one and only"?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 11:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That which does not exist, except in the human mind, cannot make an appearance until its human creator is ready for it to do so. The better question is, why does he not show himself NOW, if it was so easy for him to do then? Because he is but a wisp of fear in the human brain and never existed in reality at all.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• he walked in the garden with Adam and Eve, spoke to those who would listen to him... it was humans who pushed God away not the other way around. Paul talks about this in Romans 1: 18- 32... vs 21-24 especially, "for although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. although they claimed to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts....."

There's a part of me that wonders if he waited so that we would understand our need for him more.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't believe He ever did show Himself. I believe that Jesus was just another prophet like the others and we made him out to be God incarnate to further religion onto others. I take the bible to be a guide on how to live life,but not to be taken literally.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• you mean 'in human form', eh?

idk.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Not everyone believes the bible represents literal history, though. Many people read the Eden story, for example, as a metaphor, and not as a literal event.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'm not a Christian, but if someone believes what the bible says, god revealed himself to Noah, Abraham, Moses and all the people who were there at Mt Sinai.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 11:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Although I agree with butterflyblue - I don't believe He's ever incarnated Himself. Instead I see all of the saints/sages/prophets as teachers who offer us various ways to understand and relate to the Divine.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My personal belief.

He didn't.. God has appeared in various forms (avatars/prophets/incarnations) on this earth throughout the history of man. Jesus is just one of many.. Many came before Jesus. Many are still to come.

God appeared in different times, in different cultures, called by different names, worshipped in different ways. But he appeared none the less.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Scripture says that God walked with Adam in the Garden of Eden, so I'd say he had revealed himself to mankind from the beginning of time. He revealed himself again to the prophets of the OT and Moses ... He walked with Enoch as well.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have to ask...have you ever read the Bible? the reason why I am asking is that God showed Himself MANY times in the Old Testament. The Lord appeared many times in the OT. Many times when it referred to as "the angel of the Lord" that was an OT appearence of Christ. Here are some examples:
    Genesis 14:17-20 (Hebrews 5:6; 7:1-8)
    Genesis 16:7-13
    Genesis 18:1-14
    Genesis 32:24-30 (Hosea 12:2-5)
    Numbers 22:22-35
    (Joshua 5:13-15
    Judges 2:1-4
    Judges 6:11-22
    Judges 13:1-22
    2nd Samuel 24:13-17; 1st Chronicles 21:12-18; 2nd Chronicles 3:1
    1st Kings 19:1-7
    Daniel 3:23-28 (Hebrews 7:3)
    Zechariah 1:7-19; 2:1-3; 3:1-6; 4:1-5; 5:5-10; and 6:4,5
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 3:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010