Tantrums...

My son's father and I are no longer together, but he still sees him every other weekend...and every time I drop him off to his father, he throws a tantrum. He never throws tantrums, and is an extremely good child otherwise... His father claims that he is fine when they get to his house, but even when I pick him up, my son wants nothing to do with his father when he sees me...Could there be something going on that I don't know about?? my son isn't even 2 and isn't talking very much, so I can't really get the information from him.

BradensMom1026

Asked by BradensMom1026 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most likely it's just that your son is dependent on you, but you never know. I'm not sure how you would get to the bottom of this at such an early age. While obviously your ex isn't a good husband (since you are divorced), is he a good father? Do you think he would hurt your son?

As I said, it's probably just adjustment and wanting YOU, but I think you have to trust your gut. Maybe google this subject, you might find lots of info.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 3:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• there could be..but most likely he's just really dependent on you, as you are with him the majority of the time, and these weekend trips are little glitches in his stability/normal-home life.
    you and your ex parent/entertain differently, too. your ds isn't getting what he's used to when he's at his dad's. his routine is upset.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just Take it one day at a time and talk to him tell him its ok to not to get mad and upset I know he's not even 2 yet but talkng is the best way to do it and low voice helps
    pamnjim

Answer by pamnjim at 11:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Every other weekend is a long time for a child. How long have you both been separated? It could just be that your son isn't used to being around his dad. I would think that if you had any reason to believe your ex would harm his son you wouldn't let him over there! Do you have reason to believe he would?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We've been separated for over a year. His father had a bad temper and a drinking problem, so he is required by the courts to not drink 24 hours prior to having our child and can't drink while he has him. he is also required to stay at his grandparents house while he has him. His grandparents are very nice people, but blood is thicker than water, so they won't say anything to me.
    BradensMom1026

Comment by BradensMom1026 (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2010