how can you feed a child nothing but tv dinners? Also how many snacks do you give your child through the day?

I have a nephew that is 2 years old as of July. My sister gets wic and food stamps and she gives him for dinner tv dinners for dinner every single day unless they go out to eat which he wont eat real good because he is use to the tv dinners. Then for lunch he eats tv dinners only on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday the rest of the time he is in daycare. She says they tell her he eats good in the daycare and everything, but at home he wont eat only tv dinners I think it is because that is all she gives him. But that can't be healthy only getting tv dinners? You can't say anything to my sister I have tried. It starts a fight then she wont bring my nephew around. For breakfast she says he wont eat cereal so all he eats is a yogurt or a poptart. If I babysit him she gives me a tv dinner for lunch I wont give it to him I give him something I have and he eats it. But she only gives him frozen foods CONT.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow. That's sad. There is little to no nutritional value in most frozen dinners. He needs to be eating some fresh food. I don't know what advice to give you, but I can see why this bothers you. Here's a bump!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• She say he wont drink milk. Then for snack not sure what she goves him, but she only gives him one snack that is after his nap at 2 or 3 then that is the only snack he gets. He eats dinner 6 or 630 he goes to bed at 7 or 730 so he gets one snack a day he isn't overweight
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well it depends, if the frozen meal is balanced and has proper nutrients I don't see what the big deal is. And he's not eating them all the time, all the time would be breakfast lunch and dinner. Probably not a choice I would make, they get expensive and it seems easier to give everyone the same food. And again, not your child, really not for you to say. No offense. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• boys are at school all day, so none. And we never do TV dinners. Fattening and expensive.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• they are things like spaghetti with chicken nuggets or just chicken nuggets or just spaghetti or pizza with something or corndog with fries, but he doesn't eat the fries. I don't ever see them have veggies in the tv dinners
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

He isn't overweight, but my sister is very tinny and she buys the 99 cent ones
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I will get "Kids Cuisine" frozen meals for my DS 2.5, he has them once or twice a week for lunch. Usually he gets sandwiches, soup, etc. He has a snack mid-morning, then another snack in the afternoon. (Goldfish, baby carrots, trail mix, grapes, etc.) He always gets milk with his meals, for snack time I let him choose what he wants to drink.

IDK, tv dinners aren't necessarily unhealthy, depending on the brand and what meal is chosen. I try not to judge what other moms feed their kids, sometimes it can be a battle when they are that age. He may not be much of a snacker - my oldest son didn't ever really eat snacks.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• TV dinners are full of soduim. Have you ever read the ingredients on the box?? She's setting him up for obesity at a very young age. He may not be overweight now, but I can bet he will be as he gets older. We don't buy TV dinners , and the only frozen food I buy are vegetables. She needs a wake up call. Tell her what she's doing wrong, for the little boys sake at least.. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Wow! I thought my sister was bad with cereal all the time for my niece. I would just give him nutritional stuff when you can. The only reason he won't eat good for his mom is b/c she has only given him a specific type of food and that is what he is used to from her. He expects different things at different places and he knows that at your house he gets something different.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I do buy my kids a tv dinners once in a while like if I am making something for dinner that one I know they can't eat (to spicy or what not my kids can't tollerate spicy foods) or if I know my kids don't like something I am making (which is rare) then I do buy them a tv dinner, but that is not very often
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2010