How do you choose a great kindergarden?

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I stay home, lol. We homeschool.

If google your school district online, you should be able to get info on the local schools. You can find the school "report card", which tells you the statistics about the school and also the testing scores and such. Good luck!

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I was lucky because my son goes to the same school I went to but it has changed since I have been there. I called the new princaple of the school and he was kind enough to sit down with me and we talked about my concerns. I found out who my son had for a teacher and I also called and had a wonderful conversation with her as well. They understand that it is hard for mothers to let go and know with out a doubt that there child is taken care of. I would just talk to or email as many people as you need to find out what you need to know.

Answer by shellygail at 4:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• You get to choose? Ah, I guess if you're doing the private school thing.

What I would do is ask to speak with other parents who have had their children in the program in the past. This way you can get a feel for what it was like for their children. I would see what sort of curriculum they have. Do they have much play time or is it all books? Are the teachers certified? (in private schools the teachers don't have to be certified) Do they have first aid and CPR training?

Make a list of everything you feel the ideal school would be and then try to find one that is close to it.

Answer by amethystrse at 4:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• amethystrse: Where I live we get to choose the elementary school in our district and they're public schools. It's probably different depending on where you're at. I know this is the last year we'll be able to choose though.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• no place like a parking lot of the school, seriously, when choosing for nick that's what i did, and boy was i surprised of how truthful moms were. i gained alot of insight before registering.

Answer by aruba3 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I wouldn't know. We don't get choices. There is our local PS and that is where you go. They HAVE to accept all kindergarten students but not any other transfer students. My kids don't go there because they wanted to bus my 2nd grader to a different school because they had no room for her but take my kindergartener.

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2008