Can you feed a family of 2.5 on $25 a week?

According to national average for my region, I should be able to feed myself, my husband and my 7 mo old for $25 a week. Eatting a homecooked, well balanced, 3 meals a day and my DS eats homemade baby food.
How cn I do this?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I find them all over the internet. www.grouprecipes.com, www.allrecipes.com, www.food.com, www.cooks.com. I also have 3 binders and two recipe boxes full of recipes that I've gleaned over the years, not to mention about 10 cookbooks. I share our favorite ones, along with menu plans, in my blog Rhonda's Homestyle Recipes.

Keep in mind that I do a LOT of cooking from scratch.  I make breads, tortillas, pasta, salad dressings, seasoning mixes, sauces...if the manufacturers can produce it in their factory, I can produce it in my kitchen and usually for less $$.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• um... that would be really tough... I'm a pretty strict shopper and use coupons and I still spend about $100 a week for the same size family (making my own baby food, using cloth diapers, etc...)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Abso-freaken-lutely not!! That so unrealistic and proves you can twist statistics to say whatever you want them to say!! That's nuts!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No way what state are u from dang putting u on a diet huh
    pamnjim

Answer by pamnjim at 11:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You can, but it's going to take a lot of planning and frugal cooking.
    Oatmeal or pancakes for breakfast. No cold cereals.
    Lunches are leftovers from dinners or sandwiches (PB&J, egg salad, tuna salad) made with homemade bread, homemade soups
    dinners: you'll see no steaks. ground meat, canned tuna, or dry beans/lentils will be your sources of protein. Add rice or potatoes (not from a box) or biscuits/breads (homemade only) and canned or frozen veggies, only a few fresh.
    No sodas. No junk food snacks. Drink only iced tea, coffee, or water. Very little in the way of juices or milk to drink.
    $25 a week gives you 47¢ per person per meal. I do feed a family of 7 for 42¢ per person per meal on average, but I've also got a lot of resources in a well stocked spice cabinet, hundreds of recipes, a couple of inexpensive grocery stores, and lots of practice.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You can do it. I did it when my LO was that young and I still probably do it. Make a grocery list of the things that you want to eat for the week. Make sure that you can get fresh or frozen veggies and steam them for you LO. When he is little bit older you can puree what you are having for dinner. I wish you luck. But I feed a family of 3 on close to $150 a month and my 2 yo eats as much as I do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Not knowing what area you're in, I know that here in Los Angeles, that could be done, but would be very difficult. We have a lot of smaller grocery stores that you can get things very affordable, but groceries in the major chains are more extremely expensive, so you'd have to do some very creative shopping, and it would be difficult to do all the time....especially if you worked. Seems to me you'd have to eat a lot of ramen noodles and mac and cheese!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It depends, how much do you like hamburger? I think that average is assuming you have access to cheap or free vegetables which you would freeze in bulk. There's a book called cook for a day, eat for a month where you buy hamburger and stew beef and a chicken etc and cook up stews and pasta sauce and then divide it all up and stick it in the freezer. Baby food is pureed and frozen in portion size. They're also assuming you have lots of freezer space.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 11:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I live in Ohio and I do have a lot of frezzer space, I am also a SAHM. I'll go to the store daily , weekly, monthly, yearly if I can really feed my family for only $25 a week. Just tell me how.
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• rice n pasta r cheap food try making a menu n searching 4 recipes with not to many ingredients i like using kraftrecipes.com they have alot to offer even coupons
    chipNskip

Answer by chipNskip at 11:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010