What do you recommend in hair color?

I am a brunette and I am noticing some gray hairs :(
what kind of brand of hair color should I use?
or should I just go to a hairstylist I know they can be very expensive :(
thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I live in a rural area where there are like 100 beauty salons within any given 20 mile area, and they are ALL outrageous. The cheapest place around here isn't even the schools, it's Wal Mart, and I'm pretty sure color starts at about $45 there. I never go with a salon because every time I have, my hair has come out wrong and the color has washed out in patches within a week or two. I always buy and dye myself. I just go with whatever brand has the color I want. I know that the Revlon color costs about $2-3 per box at Wal Mart and it lasts a long time and always comes out pretty for me and my friends who dye their hair, so I recommend it if you can find the color you want. I'm not saying that all salons are bad, that was just my personal experience with them and the reason I won't go there for my hair color. If you would prefer a salon, check around for the cheapest place and ask others about them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Personally, I prefer to go to a pro. Color from a box never comes out the way I want it to. I used to do it myself all the time when I was in college, and believe me, I had some HORRIBLE color mishaps as a result! LOL I refuse to do it myself now, I'd rather spend the money and get it done and know that it looks good.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 11:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Hairstylists don't have to be exspensive. That's a huge misconception. My color costs me $7.85 a tube and I only charge $40 to do it. I really don[t make a killing off it. By having someone else do it, you are getting a few things, less to zero damage, thourough, accurate application, no missing spots or patches, custom formula, your stylist can mix something properly to fit your skin tone, etc. Some people can get by with the box but I can tell. The hair feels dry, the texture is rough, and you have no ideal what undertones are in that box! If you get the wrong undertones for your hair you risk, green yellow tinge, or grabbing too dark for your skin tone. Also professional lines last longer, stay newer longer, and come out very shiny and illuminous.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Honestly, go to a salon. If there's a budget issue, many communities have a beauty school you can go to. There's a really expensive salon here that offers the same services at more than half the price at their beauty school.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010