Rough Play

my husband plays rough with our son and he absolutely loves it. The only problem is, our son thinks its ok to play rough with other kids. How can I explain to my husband that he needs to turn down the dial a bit on the rough playing?

BradensMom1026

Asked by BradensMom1026 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have this same problem in our house - with 3 boys! Honestly I don't know what to tell you, except to keep reinforcing to your son that it's a special thing to do with daddy and not with anyone else. We've had the same problem at different times with our kids but as they get older they tend to figure out that attacking dad is ok, but attacking their friends isn't good.
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 11:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would have to agree with Hausermom - my son has to play rough with his dad to get his energy out and he plays rough with his older cousins...he prefers playing with them.

We try to reinforce to him this is something he can only with his dad but sometimes he "forgets".
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My kids dad also plays rough with ours (2 girls age 4 and 2) -- thank God because I can't stand whiny baby little kids! They are tough as nails. We've had a problem with our oldest getting a little rough with certain sensitive kids and we just tell her "They don't like it when you play like that, play gentle please" etcetera. It's okay to play rough, but we teach them if the other person isn't having fun -- well, what fun is that? We do not tolerate hitting, punching, or pushing but wrestling and tumbling is fair game.
    JohnnyCakes

Answer by JohnnyCakes at 7:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2010