How can I stretch out the time till nap time?

My 16 month old is wanting to switch from 2 naps/day to 1 nap/day. This is fine with me, but he wants to sleep from 10:30-1 while the 2 other kids (daycare) that are here nap from 1-3. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep him up till at least 12, preferably 1:00 without me going crazy from the clingy whiny tired baby?

Hausermom

Asked by Hausermom at 11:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We are switched my 1yr old from 2 to 1 naps a day recently. We do snack time, bath time, play outside, go the store, etc to keep her awake. If baths make him sleepy then it probably wouldnt work for you. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Keep him busy! Do things that he likes to do that will keep his attention...Get the other kids involved as well.
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i'd push nap time back gradually over a week or two so that its not too drastic
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'd take a week or so, putting him down later each time. Keep him busy with quiet play - drawing or reading, etc.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I switched my daughter in daily half hours
    So, for the first day distract him with something to keep him up a half an hour longer and increase another half hour each day until you get to where you want to be. DO it slower if necessary.
    I distracted with songs,sitting and playing with her, bringing out toys that I put up and hadnt brought out in about a week,a snack,a game, etc.
    I take care of children at my home too.
    My goal was to get them on the same schedule...and I usually manage to do just that! lol
    Matter of fact, they are both napping right now :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• When we switched from 2 naps to 1, my son still needed a "downtime" at around 10:30. We turned that into a storytime and looked at books with his head in my lap usually. Some days he would end up going to sleep and I would let him nap for 1/2 hour and then wake him up. It took about 2-3 weeks to completely drop the nap.

Answer by missanc at 3:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010