Changing the 14th aAmendment

There's been talks about changing the 14th amendment. some of congress the so ca;;ed "anchor" babies are costing us millions of dollars in taxes to keep their families in Welfare programs. They want to change it where if an illegal immigrant gives birth here in the USA their baby will not automatically become a citizen. What do you think? I personally agree with what they are doing. Here are severally links supporting what I'm saying.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/08/08/pol.boehner.immigration/index.html

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/state/story/Utah-lawmaker-to-ask-for-14th-Amendment-changes/_xtnYjmN6kOnmKtXI8cDOw.cspx

http://www.connectamarillo.com/news/story.aspx?id=492415

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'm torn on this one. On one hand what the founders had in mind is not being followed. The purpose of the 14th amendment was not so every pregnant woman who wants their child to get a leg up in America can come and give birth. Every one knows that. Maybe just clarifying it a bit would help. On the other hand, I'm not so sure they can't just adopt laws that prevent that from happening. Why not start sending them back after they have a kid here? Tell the illegal mom she can take her child back with her or she can leave the baby here to be adopted and live that life they want them to have. That would stop many of them from even coming and no change is needed in the constitution.
    The problems here involve the facts that some people think you can just turn the constitution into whatever they want. They know that most don't really know the deep down meaning of the constitution and will follow the pack.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with the concept. However:

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.
    Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
    Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

Above is the wording of the Equal Rights Amendment, first proposed in 1972 and STILL not in the Constitution.

I have a feeling that by the time the 14th Amendment is scrapped, the US will have already invaded and annexed Mexico to stop the drug cartels and thus invalidate the need for illegal immigration.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• ratifying the constution is not so easy, it will be a long drawn out process
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• They do need to change it!

it was done for the slaves so they can stay here in the U.S.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with it as well. I have read something showing that this practice of granting them citizenship is not something that we used to do, that we used to say that whatever country had a "hold" on the mother had also the child...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Agree with this..might not be all fluffy bunnies and sweet smelling roses..but our country is in trouble..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I believe in citizenship by birth. I understand that I am lucky that my family happened to squirt me out on the right side of the line. I am thankful that i live in a counrty with more resources than any other country in the world, and i am proud to share those resources...just like Jesus would.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We shouldn't change any amendments.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Good for you UpSHeRises....I agree with you.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010