12 Year Old Niece

My 12 year old niece recently spent the weekend with me and had gotten her period while she was with me. She asked me to buy her pads, so I did. She also asked me not to tell her mother about it. I feel that I need to tell her mom that she has hit puberty, but how can I do it without my niece finding out i told her mom?

BradensMom1026

Asked by BradensMom1026 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• You don't need to tell her anything. Mom's are smart, they know their kids and I'm sure they will figure it out on their own. Maybe she wants to tell her herself? If you tell she'll know you did. Me and my mom have tried to pull this off with my 12yo. Didn't work!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You should tell her Mom, that's a pretty important thing to keep from her.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Tell your niece that she needs to tell her mother and ask her why she's reluctant to do so. Her answer may provide you with a clearer course of action.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You need to tell her mom - she;s going to need supplies and support, you know? Why isn't she comfortable telling her mom?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I plan on it, I just don't know how to do it without my niece finding out and being upset with me..
    BradensMom1026

Comment by BradensMom1026 (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would go ahead and tell her about it..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Try and convince her to tell her mom. I remember being very ashamed of this and not wanting to tell anyone. Maybe you can be there for her to talk to and make her comfortable enough with it to tell her mom.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You need to find out from her why she doesn't want her mom to know. Its gotta be a pretty good reason, maybe she just didn't want you to tell her mom that you bought her pads, because she maybe knew she was going to start, or something, or should be starting & dont want to get into trouble for not thinking ahead. is this her first period?
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You screwed yourself if you told your niece that you would NOT spill the beans. If it was my niece I would have made it clear to her that I had an obligation to her her mom, regardless of my niece's wishes. As long as you didn't make a "promise" to your niece then there is NO reason not to tell her mother. Now if on the other hand if you did promise your niece as I said you are screwed. This is why it would have just been better and up front with your niece that you couldn't have kept this "secret".

Tell and let the chips fall where they may. She's 12; Yes her feelings may be hurt, but she's a CHILD and in the long run what you've done would have been the best. I guess what I'm trying to say is you shouldn't be worried about your niece finding out, because you just have to do what is right. The right thing from the beginning was to always tell mom!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010