waking up with headaches?

i've had a headache as soon as i wake up the past 3 days... sun was probably just cause i stayed up too late the night before, went to bed with a headache, woke up with a headache :P but sun night i went to bed at a decent hour but when i woke up yesterday i had a horrible tension headache in the back of my head/neck area, i almost couldn't move my head! and today i woke up ok but as soon as i started getting dressed and getting the kids ready for school i got a horrible headache behind my eyes/at my temples... wth is going on? i hate just taking meds over and over again cause i know it can cause long-term problems. i've been eating breakfast every day and trying to drink as much water as i can but it doesn't seem to help :-/ any suggestions?

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 11:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• Could it be your pillow? Sometimes your neck position can make you have a headache when you wake up.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Is it right before that time of the month? Could be menstrual headaches. It's probably nothing, but keep track of when you are getting headaches and what they feel like. Waking up with a dull throbbing headache can sometimes be signs of a tumor.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It could be the pillow/mattress, just slept in an odd way, etc. It could also be allergies, (check the pollen count) stress, (school just started) , that time of the month (?) You're not abusing drugs if you take an occassional tylenol or advil. We are lucky to have those meds around when we need them. If the pain becomes worse, call your Dr. Good luck- I know it's hard to function when you're not 100%.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I experienced that same situation. Having constant headahes for no aparent reason. I found out through trial and error that they were sinus headaches. I had never had sinus trouble before, although I remember my mother having it. Anyway I started using a nose bidet to clear out my sinuses with saline solution (salted water) and the pressure was relieved and the pain went away. Sinus problems are chronic and there really is no cure, you just have to treat it with over the counter remedies.
    moms4keeps

Answer by moms4keeps at 12:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You need to down a bottle of water and have some orange juice before you even leave your bed. The long time between dinner and breakfast is too long for your body. It needs replenishment before you expect it to work properly for you in the morning!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well first of all headaches come from many diff. things. It could be the pillow, it could be that you had your head angeled in a weired positions the night before while watching TV, it could be the stress or a pinched nerve. Pay closer attention on how you position your head maybe you just need of a firmer pillow or the memory foam pillow, or just get yourself one of those travel pillows for the neck. have that around your neck while you sleep...it does support your neck and you will not lie in a strange position all night long, having nerves pinched. also don't worry about taking meds for headaches....if you only take them once or twice a day its still ok. here is what i take....Excedrin for Tension Headache and for a stiff neck or sore muscles i use Absorbine rapid relief...its a liquid in a bottle with a sponge applicator that you can find where Bengay and all the Muscle and Arthritis creams are sold. good luck!!
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• IF U REALLY FEEL CONCERNED ABOUT IT, YOU SHOULD TALK TO A DR. IT'S BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. IT COULD BE NOTHING. BUT IT COULD ALSO BE SOMETHING SERIOUS.
    CAMERONSMOM24

Answer by CAMERONSMOM24 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2010