How long do you think it will take before a third party has a chance?

Do you think the possibility of a third party getting elected is anywhere in the near future? What will it take for people to realize that there are options other than Republicans and Democrats?

Personally, I supported the Libertarian party in the last election, but it seems as if they have no chance, and I can't stand it. Does anyone else feel like the majority will always vote as they always have, therefore never giving another (and possibly better) party a chance?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We need an overhaul! We need a miracle!

***

So is the consensus official then, that Obama WASN'T the answer to our prayers?! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• IMO~ Given recent more liberals are apt to vote party line. Conservatives are willing to vote for a fiscal responsible candidate. Many (most recent) cases that has meant an independent. So, if it takes more pathetic terms for the nation to vote for liberal inexperienced f'ups or non fiscally responsible conservatives to see what we really need, than we have a LONG journey ahead of us. Till then, I continue to save for my childrens' future. Lord knows what they will have to endure because of Massive Government spending, Stimulus Acts, Cap and Trade, etc...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think we may see a small representation of third parties in the next election. It'll grow from there.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Not anytime soon. I worked my butt off getting the word out about 3rd parties in the last Election, and was shocked at how many people didn't even KNOW there were more than two parties!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I hope something changes in our obviously failed system of "us vs. them" What's happened to doing what's best for the country- not the rich lobbyists- or other special interest groups that finance their next campaign. The U.S. is going down hill fast, (even before the current President took office) We need someone we can truly trust to stop running things into the ground! We need an overhaul! We need a miracle!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Nope
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Never. We have a winner take all election system.

3rd parties won't be possible unless we change to a voting plurality, which, of course, a bi-partisian system would never allow.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Hopefully not long.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with both of you. I don't see how it's not obvious to most that neither of the two major parties aren't doing what it takes! It's time to give someone else a shot, I think!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Something will change and it won’t be pretty.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2010