Do I need to go to counseling or get on meds?

I have been noticing major internal problems when thinking about myself. I get horribly angry in a split second, but always find a way to contain it. I haven't exploded, yet... Today I got SO mad at just reading a bumper sticker on some dude's car while driving and my first instinct was to swerve my car into his, not caring if I died too or not. I have never felt this much anger inside myself. I have never once felt this angry toward my child, but to other people. Even my husband causes this sometimes, like when he won't get his a$$ out of bed in the mornings to help me. I feel like kicking him in the face. I hate the way I feel sometimes and can't tell anyone I actually know because I'm afraid they will look at me differently. We are trying to get pregnant with baby number two and I'm afraid to go to a psychologist for fear they will put me on meds that I can't take with pregnant... Maybe I'm just depressed. Who knows.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• Seek out a counselor first. You may just be suffering seasonal depression or some form of stress. Drugs are not always the answer. Therapy can help you to learn how to rethink your issues.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with vbruno. If meds do turn out to be the answer they can find something you can take safely while pregnant.
    jenn1172

Answer by jenn1172 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with Vbruno. You need to seek a counselor first.... Having that much angry isn't good for you, nor will it be good for the baby if you get pregnant.. talk to someone, let them know whats going on. Ask for help.

If you do need meds, maybe they can find something you can take while being pregnant.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The fact that you are controlling this rage is a good thing. It would be a good idea to talk to a counselor anyway to find out where the anger is coming from & what you need to do to keep it from boiling over. Even if you weren't trying for a baby, I'd be careful if I were you about taking meds that mess w/ your mind. There is an over-abundance of these meds being prescribed, when quite frankly, all it takes is some time & behavior management. Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• by guess is hormones are off~"meanopause" can somethings start like that.....do you know your hormone levels? Progesterone has a chill effect on me...and estrogen (bio ID) makes me "nesty" instead of nasty~

you are young I bet, but still~thyroid too...

and doing some more exercise to generate some endorphins...I think people get "kicks" off being mad like that~it floods your brain with adrenaline and all sorts of stuff,
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Go to a therapist. Maybe you just need someone to talk to. I think if you tell them you want to avoid meds they can try to help you in other ways. Try yoga or relaxation techniques, journal writing- or take up karate (you can kick at people and not feel guilty about it ! (0= ) Seriously though if you are planning on getting pregnant you need to get help first, pregnancy hormones may only make the problem worse.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 12:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Definitely talk to a doctor. This can be helped, and there are many options.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Nobody can force you to take anything you don't want to take. But you need to talk to somebody IMMEDIATELY. You may reach a point where controlling those urges becomes impossible. You need to get help before that happens and ESPECIALLY BEFORE YOU HAVE A BABY.

Please don't delay and see your GP for a referral if you don't know where else to go. You definitely do not want this to escalate.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• First of all hold off on the baby thing till you figured out what causes your intense anger. Talk to a psychiatrist and let him evaluate the situation....he will know what this is...but don't jump on he meds wagon just yet....let him refer you to a good counselor first. You might just need to get thinks off your chest and deal with certain things in your life. If that does not help...you can always go on meds but don't worry about that just yet....take one step at a time. until then try yoga or just praying a few min. for you to relax and gather your thoughts might help you too.
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• GO AND SEE THE PROPER DOCTOR AND HE WILL DECIDE THAT WHAT MEDICATIONS ARE RIGHT FOR YOU. BE FORE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS, THEY WILL WANT TO PICK YOUR BRAIN ABIT. FAMILY MENTAL HISTORY AND THINGS OF THAT NATURE.
    CAMERONSMOM24

Answer by CAMERONSMOM24 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2010