Should marijuana be legalized for religious usage?

Many religions believe in using marijuana for religious reasons.

Pagans have associated it with a certain goddess, Hindus have associated it with their religion since as early as 1500BC, and Rastafarians believe in using it as part of their worshiping of God.

Should the laws forbid these people from using it for religious practice, considering they were using it long before laws restricting it were ever in place?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think marijuana should be legal PERIOD! I am not someone who has even ever smoked it, so I have no agenda. Make it legal and tax the hell out of it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it should be legalized for all adults, not just the religious ones.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it should be legalized period. Tax the crap out of it and let everyone be happy and eat:) lol And no, I don't smoke it.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it should be grown, packaged, and taxed in the US. Sell it in packs of "marijuana cigarettes" You'd create jobs (Marijuana can not be harvested with machinery- must be done by hand.) gain much needed money for the government, empty cells in our already strained jail system (to put REAL criminals in!) It's beneficial all around. You can not die from a marijuana overdose, although people can be allergic. All parts of the plant can be used, hemp/cotton blends will become cheaper, and hemp is a much quicker growing and renewable resource than cotton. What's the defense AGAINST it? It's no more harmful than cigarettes or alcohol, I say even safer than alcohol. Anslinger made it illegal, at the same time outlawing alcohol and using the racial tensions of the time to put it through. It's non-addictive. Why wouldn't we legalize it?
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• this is where seperation from church and state come in. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I should also point out I've never smoked it. I just think it would create a lot more money (taxed) and it would clear out a lot of the jails for the real criminals.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Sure-why not? Wine is given to under-aged children as part of ceremonies all the time...
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I really don't think the Feds should be involved with MJ usage. and no, I don't smoke it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think a few of us would be joining some eh, um new religions? tee hee!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• #
    # I agree, Kiwis. I think it should be heavily taxed, and would be en entire new source of income to clear out some of our debt.

YEP- look here in Colorado-even those politicians that originally opposed it are lining up for the profits;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010