Do you think its possible for someone who is abusive to ever change?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it's possible, but this is one of those situations where "no" is the rule and "yes" is the exception. Don't count on it and don't wait around for it to happen. :(
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it's possible but not very likely
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I really think for the most part no, unless they want to change and follow that up by getting extensive therapy.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I've been there, done that...They DO NOT change...They might be good for 6 months, but it always go back to the way they were...usually drugs and alcohol have a huge impact on it..
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think change is possible for ANYONE.
    However..that person has to change for themselves...and if I were the one being abused by someone who says they will change...I would want to make a change within myself to not allow that person to have control over hurting me, my fear,my body,my mind...and I'd get out and never look back.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It depends. But hypothetically speaking say a person were in a relationship with someone who is abusive and they keep telling them they are going to change and it's happened over and over and over- obvioulsy they don't care to change and it isn't going to happen. On the other hand there are those who realize it's a problem and they get PROFESSIONAL help. I believe they can change, because they want to. They may always struggle with it to some extent but it's possible to overcome if they make a sincere effot and get help. But, lip service is just that- words.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 12:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It is possible. But ONLY IF the abuser;
    1) recognizes and admits to themselves that they have a problem
    2) The abuser seeks help in dealing and learning how to control his/her actions & reactions
    3) The abuse actively works to change themselves and their behaviours.

Anyone can change. It takes the will, the drive, receiving help (professional if need be) and actively working towards changing.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The real question is do you want to stick around and wait for that change to happen? Might be best for you to focus on ur life and ur self and when or if he/she changes then maybe look at talking and getting to know each other again.
    bearsbabies

Answer by bearsbabies at 1:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I believe anything is possible. I also believe that if they change they are the exception that makes the rule.

Honestly, it is possible that I may one day find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, and I think it is as probable as an abuser changing.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I believe anyone can change if they want to, the question is do they really want to.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010