I dont want my sister in law borrowing my clothes anymore, how can I say no without feeling bad?

I usually loan my clothes out all the time to my sister in law. She would keep the item for a week or two and then bring it back washed just fine. I gave her a few of those old items and am giving the rest to GoodWill.

This past weekend I spent around $350 on a new wardrobe at some nice stores and I dont want anyone borrowing those new clothes! She is already asking to look through them and I dont know how to say no without seeming rude and selfish. I DO NOT want them leaving my room. I spent alot of money and we dont have any extra money to replace them if she ruins them or doesnt return them.

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Just tell her the truth.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just kindly explain to her what you explained to us:) And I don't blame you.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just tell her that. You spent alot on them and can't afford to replace them. If she gets mad,SHE"S the rude one,not you.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just tell her you want to wear them for a while before borrowing them out. Or if your Dh will go along with it say he got on your case about borrowing your clothes out.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would simply say I spent alot of money on these clothes and I am not loaning them out to anyone, but if you see something you like they sell it at ( then tell her the name of the store). I think its better to be direct and in no way should you feel bad.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• say these are mine and new, and I want to wear them for a while.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• if she always returns them in good condition, why are you worried about her ruining them?
    i do understand not wanting to share, though. just tell her that they are new clothes, and you want to enjoy them to yourself for a while. it's kind of selfish for her to want to mess up the experience of something new for you, but maybe she just doesn't realize that. gl!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 12:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Can't add anything different than the good advice you've gotten. Just say no........buy your own. Tell her they are new and you r not comfortable sharing them with anyone at this point.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just tell her, no! Stand your ground.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• you just say no. what's with the guilt?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010