I dont want my sister in law borrowing my clothes anymore, how can I say no without feeling bad?

I usually loan my clothes out all the time to my sister in law. She would keep the item for a week or two and then bring it back washed just fine. I gave her a few of those old items and am giving the rest to GoodWill.

This past weekend I spent around $350 on a new wardrobe at some nice stores and I dont want anyone borrowing those new clothes! She is already asking to look through them and I dont know how to say no without seeming rude and selfish. I DO NOT want them leaving my room. I spent alot of money and we dont have any extra money to replace them if she ruins them or doesnt return them.

Asked by amber710 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Just tell her the truth.

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just kindly explain to her what you explained to us:) And I don't blame you.

Answer by shanlaree at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just tell her that. You spent alot on them and can't afford to replace them. If she gets mad,SHE"S the rude one,not you.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just tell her you want to wear them for a while before borrowing them out. Or if your Dh will go along with it say he got on your case about borrowing your clothes out.

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would simply say I spent alot of money on these clothes and I am not loaning them out to anyone, but if you see something you like they sell it at ( then tell her the name of the store). I think its better to be direct and in no way should you feel bad.

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• say these are mine and new, and I want to wear them for a while.

Answer by lovinangels at 12:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• if she always returns them in good condition, why are you worried about her ruining them?
    i do understand not wanting to share, though. just tell her that they are new clothes, and you want to enjoy them to yourself for a while. it's kind of selfish for her to want to mess up the experience of something new for you, but maybe she just doesn't realize that. gl!

Answer by AngryBob at 12:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Can't add anything different than the good advice you've gotten. Just say your own. Tell her they are new and you r not comfortable sharing them with anyone at this point.

Answer by zbee at 1:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just tell her, no! Stand your ground.

Answer by cynprz at 2:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• you just say no. what's with the guilt?

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010