How do you get a 2 year old to eat what u cook?

mommyof3rck

Asked by mommyof3rck at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you find out.. let me know! lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Offer it and don't give anything else. If they don't eat then they don't' get a snack or you give them what they didn't eat. It will take a few times but they usually get the hint quickly. No child has ever starved themselves.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• he has to at least try it but he eats what I cook -if he decides not to eat, then he doesn't eat. I didn't want to make a meal for each person or cook only what he wants so i guess i never started that with him.. he's turning 3 soon and so far, he's a pretty good eater.. there are few textural foods he doesnt like so I won't make him eat them but I do ask he trys them again every couple months and some he will even eat now - like baby tomatoes he likes as a snack or blueberries
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• `
    evelyn334

Answer by evelyn334 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Make it, put it on the plate. If she didn't eat it, she could put it away for later. If she got hungry, the plate was put in front of her again. A kid won't starve itself. It will eventually eat what you give them. I always made a few different things with meals and so long as she ate a couple bites of each I didn't make a big deal about it. I figured if I wasn't going to stuff myself on something I didn't like I shouldn't expect her to either. But she has always had to eat some of it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• don't give him any other options... my mom always said, "this is not a restaurant there are no special orders here"
    If you are hungry enough then you'll eat what it served
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Agree with everyone else. I make him a plate of what we're having and if he eats it great if not, oh well. His facial expressions let me know when he's not eating because he doesn't like it, otherwise I just assume he's not hungry and I won't force him to eat if he's not hungry.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Give them some of whtas being served, if they don't want it put it in the fridge for later and bring it back out when their hungry again. It takes a few tries but they will learn to eat what you cook. The only time I make an exception is when their sick or we're out and I know they can't eat it cause its too spicy or something like that.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I know that all of these answers are what I was told also, but I could never let my child go without eating. I always wound up making them a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich before they went to bed. Good decision or not, they eat what I make now, unless I am just cooking something I know they won't like but that I do. In that case, they can make a sandwhich, have cereal or eat leftovers. LOL
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 12:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010