what is normal about children playing with their selves? adult content

well my DD is 17 months. and when she comes home from school she likes to be bare butt. so i take her pamper off so that she can be free. well every now and than I'll catch her layed out on the floor with her legs spread digging in her stuff. i ignore it but my DH gets so mad he says that it is nasty but i tell her that it is natural. what do i do about it. do i let her continue with this behavior or redirect it. if so how?

amazinbabymama9

Asked by amazinbabymama9 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All kids do that.. they discover their parts and they touch them.. I just tell my youngest "lets not do that.. those are private parts and thats yucky.. " I know some people would not agree with me telling her its yucky, but I'm sorry, I don't want my daughter doing that stuff..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• When my kids did that I would just tell them that they were to do that in their room in private and not in my living room where everyone could see them doing it. I never made a big deal about it or made them think it was bad.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have just read that when they do that not to shame them or tell them its gross cause they are just exploring and its natural, but to tell them that they need to do it in private, like in her room or something. I have seen that work well with a couple of my friends kiddos. They didnt want to leave the room and go to thiers so they just kinds quit doing it. This is what i plan to do with my 14 month old when hes older. I would never shame him. Its his body and theres nothing gross about exploration.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• my 2 year old does it i just tell her leave that alone your gonna hurt it that works just have to tell her to remind her when she does which isn't that often anymore
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would tell her that your viaginia or what ever you call it. That is were the pee pee comes out, it is not a toy. And then find a toy for her to play with. Is she ready to potty train, I know my youngest will touch her vaginia and butt when she is without undies, so she wears them. Problem solved. She may still feel free and breezy with undies on verus the diaper. And she could pick out her favorite ones.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It is natural. Everyone explores their body and there's nothing wrong with it. You do need to inform your little girl that she should do that in the privacy of her own room. That it's not something you do in public. Your husband may just feel that his baby girl shouldn't be doing that, because that's his little girl.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Self exploration is normal and natural. Especially at that age.. She doesn't comprehend anything other than it "feels" good at this point. Not what it is (sexual stimulation), or appropriate time/place..etc.. She's just exploring her own body (all kids do, it's natural curiosity) and she found something that feels good. What you do, is not to shame her, tell her "no that's nasty" or anything along those lines. Now is the time to start teaching her about proper place/time. Meaning, that's something you do in private..etc..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Its natural...my son plays with himself in the bath tub... just try to redirect their attention to something else
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i will try and get her something else to play with if i ever see her do that
    michelle34231

Answer by michelle34231 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you don't want her to do it, I would leave the diaper on. My daughter is in that phase, and she touches when I change her diaper. I don't make a big deal about it. It's just a phase.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010