Keep it or sell it?

We have a Wii. We have a few things that we downloaded to it, plus MarioKart, New Super Mario Bros. and maybe one more game, and I use it occassionally for Netflix for the kids.
I used to play a ton of MarioKart, and haven't touched it in months. Same with the Bros. DS is 5, and he likes to play it, but he also has a DS, and has both MarioKart and Bros. for that too.
The Netflix is just barely useful on the Wii, I only put on the kids' shows and they're "meh" at best. I want to start limiting TV time too, maybe even canceling cable, since all we seem to watch is Sprout.
Money is kind of tight right now, and really only gets worse through the rest of the year. I bought the kids their fall/winter clothes, threw a baby shower for my sister, and am mapping out my Christmas lists and funding. My power bill nearly doubles starting in October. I have virtually no free money until January. Would you sell the Wii, if you were me?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 1:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• yep
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah, it is barely used. I don't keep things that I barely use. And heck, I'll buy it from you! (No I didn't just answer to sell it because I wanted to offer to buy it.)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• yes but you wont get very much for it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes, but think would you ever be tempted to re-buy it? Run a trial a take the Wii away for a month, pack it up and put it in the closet. If you don't miss it then put an ad on Craigs List or Ebay, or take it to Gamestop (though they give you less then what they sell it for to make profit so you kinda get screwed out of that deal)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• yes. when funds were tight, i sold bag fulls of my kids outgrown clothes on craigslist, along with things they no longer used. (crib, play pen, etc) it also freed up lots of closet space.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Sell it; it's not a necessity.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's not a necessity, but you you'll only get $150ish for it, right? I don't know how much used Wii's are going for, but once you sell it, it's gone. We are tight on money too and have a Wii and no cable, but I'm not considering selling it because it's already paid in full, and it's like our only source of entertainment. lol. We don't go to movies, bowl, etc. So if we sell our Wii, all we have is the Internet.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. If you are that strapped for cash and need that $100 right away, then I would do what I have to do and sell that bugger! :)
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Memigen - I'll let you know what DH says! ;) He was talking about selling it the other day, and knee-jerk me said no, but now that I think about it, along with these helpful opinions, looks like the answer may be changing...

Gnomeofmyheart - I cannot remember the last time I picked up a controller, aside from turning Netflix on for the kids. It's been at least 3 months. Probably longer. DS has been the only one to play it, and he got in trouble last week for yelling at his sister for "distracting" him. DD just doesn't "get" technology yet, and when she does, she's already made perfectly clear that she wants a pink Nintendo DS. Her brother already has one, with identical games to what we have for the Wii. I don't think it'd be missed...I think the only person really affected would be DS - but he already has an alternative.
    sojourner.

Comment by sojourner. (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think you should cancel the cable like you were thinking but keep the Wii around for the Netflix. I am not sure how much your cable is but you would save a lot more that way each moth versus selling the Wii.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes sell it and anything else you don't get use out of. Have a huge garage sale and sell all of your unused or gently used clothing, any furniture you don't need, etc. Cancle your cable, cancle any magazine subscriptions, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010