Catholics

What do you believe a triquetra to mean? Is it offensive to you?

I will post a pic in a reply. I am just curious since I wear mine when I take my son to school and it is a Catholic school. I don't want to offend them.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 1:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have no problem with them. In fact some of my friends wear them as a Catholic symbol... three knots Father,Son and Holy Spirit.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No, it is not offensive to me. I see it as a symbol of the trinity.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The Celtic symbol that was used by early Christians to show the Trinity. While it does for some represent lesser deities in Celtic tradition. It is a great way to show the three in one intertwined. So you're good to go.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• A lot of Irish/Celtic Christians use that symbol too. I have always loved it.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 2:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Is it an Irish-Catholic school? They'll probably love you for wearing it if they are Irish-Catholic. I know there are some Protestants who are offended by it, but they don't even know that the Celtic Christians used the symbol to depict the Trinity. I'd say don't worry about it.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's an old symbol, I don't find it offensive at all.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I had seen it before, but didn't know what it was. I just thought it was some sort of Celtic design. I wouldn't be bothered by it. I think it shows that you are a considerate person since you are thinking about whether or not this will offend anyone.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i recognize that as a symbol of the triple goddess. i used to have a large "dictionary of women's symbols" - i can't find it and think i no longer have it.. i'm pretty sure my ex-friend who is wiccan has this tattoo... catholics do tend to have alot of symbols and ceremony close to pagans... the goddess figure mary, the incense and rituals, etc.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:35 AM on Sep. 2, 2010