How do I get my child to go to bed by herself in her toddler bed?

She just started to climb out of her crib, we took the side rail off. Before, we would read her books, put her in her crib and she would fall asleep by herself. Now, she can get out, she needs us to put her to sleep. I've tried to her her in her bed, say goodnite and walk out. And when she gets up, put her back to bed. I put her back in her bed every 10 seconds cause she just runs to the door as soon as I put her down. I need some advise on how to get her to stay in there and fall asleep by herself. AND!! She comes into our bed at 3am every morning with out waking us up.

Taylor6

Asked by Taylor6 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i sing three songs with my daughter and then scratch her back for 5 min while whisper singing to her and she is calm enough by then that i leave and she usually falls asleep and if she does come out then i put her back no words just a kiss and it only take at eh most 5 times of her getting up and watch her from a cracked door and the second she gets up you tell her to go back to bed. it works every time
    babykins362003

Answer by babykins362003 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• close her door and let her cry!!
    Anonymous

• I have a baby gate at my son's door. He can open it up but he still can't get out. I always worry about kiddos wandering the house at night.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 3:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Consistency. You are doing great if you are putting your child back into bed every time. You might try to lay your child on the couch with her favorite blankey or toy for about 30 minutes before she should be in bed. Let her know that you are going to put her in bed after 30 minutes. Or get into the routine of taking her to the bathroom to sit on the potty and to brush her teeth before you lay her down. She will get used to the routine. Good luck.
    mommywyo

Answer by mommywyo at 4:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Yes, I agree, consistency. Bella had trouble getting herself to sleep in her toddler bed for 4 or 5 days, but after that, she adjusted. About a half hour before she goes to bed, we start the "wind down time". We sit quietly with her, talk to her, maybe read if she wants to. Then I take her upstairs, lay her in the bed and talk to her for a minute, usually about our plans for the next day. I kiss and hug her a million times :), tell her goodnight and close her door. Sometimes she will call for me, but I just tell her goodnight again outside the door and she will usually go to sleep after that. Find your routine and just repeat it for a few days. Good luck!
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 9:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I agree with the 2 pp... it is consistency and finding your routine. I know ours is funny, but we read a book, turn of the fish tank lights, kiss mommy and daddy good night and then in bed. However, we had a problem with a toddler (transitioning from co-sleeping to his own bed) so we got a pack and play to learn to sleep in his own bed. It works great and he can't climb out. I had a crib for him and at 9 months he was pulling himself over the edge, so it got dismantled. I know it sounds funny, but we tried a couple times to move from co-sleeping to his own bed, but I just couldn't do it. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2008