Are Rastafarians being oppressed?

Rastafarians believe in using marijuana for religious reasons and can't due to the law. Is this right? How can this be justified, when we have freedom of religion?

This is similar but different from my recent question in P&C.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Ok.....you can go as far as you want with this type of question. I mean....there are people who can say they believe in mass murder b/c of religious reasons....but it is STILL illegal....should we legalize that too...I mean we dont wanna leave them out and discriminate against them!!! HORROR OF HORRORS!!!

That is quite a bit different. Sorry but it is.

OP yes they are. However my understanding is if they build a compound they can smoke it. However soon it will be legal so they will get their freedom.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• FIGHT THE MON! jA MON! (yeah I'm a dork)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Sure, why not? The truth is everyone is "discriminated against" when there is a law that prevents them from doing something they want to do...is it fair? nope......is it going to change? maybe this particular law eventually, who knows?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Of course they are. As are a great many other minority religious groups... Here in my town we are not permitted to have open flames on days other than Saturday and Wednesday and never after dusk, even for religious reasons. Santarian's are no longer permitted to sacrifice animals larger than a Chicken for religious reasons - even though the general population can kill and cook larger animals in the name of a Hog roast... The list really can go on and on... It's unfortunate, but I think if we start to make religious exceptions for some of these things, to many would take advantage of them... So I guess it's a two sided coin.

Now, that said, I don't see how any of the things I've listed here need to have laws against them in the first place...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Some native american religions have been allowed to use otherwise illegal substances if they prove it is used for ceremonial purposes (such as peyote).

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 3:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

Seriously though, there has to be a line drawn in the sand...rules for society!

By the way, I saw a guy on wife swap who was a Rastafarian.....he was so spacey and kept sayin....ra sta far....he was hilarious....didnt look like he let the law stand in the way of his....ummm....worship...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• (these are not my views, just trying to see it from another side)
    Well, they decided to come to our country so they need to follow our laws. It is illegal to smoke pot in the U.S. except for those states that have legalized medical marijuana.
    And if they want to argue the freedom of religion then we would have to start allowing those who believe in human sacrifices for their religion.
    Some things have laws in them for reasons and laws can't be bent for everyone. -shrugs- we can't make every single person happy someone somewhere is going to complain about something. You do what you have to do to keep your nation safe.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I understand that the line has to be drawn somewhere. No, I don't think human sacrifices should be allowed, but there's a difference in marijuana and human sacrifice. Marijuana isn't harming anyone. Mass murders would. Everything isn't black and white.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• And as for coming into this country, ALL religions have migrated into this country.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I kind of agree with Sabrina on this. There are several different lesser know and accepted religions that are being "oppressed" because not everyone feels that their beliefs are right/acceptable. But, again, there isn't much we can do about it. There will always be someone complaining about something. We just have to suck it up and deal.
    And, as far as "all religions migrated here," what about the Native Americans?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010