school work to easy...

We just moved to a new town and the twwins started 2nd grade at a new school. The problem is the school work is way to easy for my childern. The work is stuff they learned in k and at the start of first grade. My daughter says she is board in school. She loves to be challenged and she is not getting that. My son loves it, he said " i get it done in 2 sec and i can doodle." not what i wanted to hear. Should i wait a little longer. I dont even know what to do. We will move again next year for a long term stay. I dont want my kids to fall behind because this school is not up to speed as their last school. I am clueless on what to do. Please any help is welcome.

babyyapi

Asked by babyyapi at 1:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, first off, if the year just started, they may be spending a couple of weeks just reviewing material that the children likely already know. That's what they're doing in our school. Secondly, assuming the teacher(s) are competent, he/she should recognize children who may need to be challenged more and will tailor the lesson plans accordingly. Lastly, educating your child is the primary job for YOU, so if you feel they need to be challenged more, then do it! Take them to the library, check out more difficult books, do simple science experiments, help them pursue more knowledge of subjects they are interested in. If the children are gifted and the material truly is too easy for them, the teacher and/or administration will recognize it and I'm sure they will be put into the appropriate program for them.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with vicesix. Find out what your children are interested in (space, science, history, learning about the presidents, Egypt, etc), take them to the library and go to town. Take field trips on the weekends to places nearby. Get them excited about learning while they are at home so that they have something to look forward to. Also, talk to their teacher. Let her/him know that your children are feeling bored. If the teacher knows, he/she can provide more enrichment now rather than waiting until your children are SO bored that they do not do anything and lose an interest in school.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 1:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with the others, find educational stuff around town that they can do and enjoy.
    You can also talk to the teachers. Most will notice that they get done early but some may not. They may be able to put them in advanced classes.
    You can also print worksheets off at home for them to do to stay sharp on what they already know.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• they are just reviewing to find out what level your kids are one especially if they just started. See they can't just go by what the other teacher from the other school put in their records they have different programs for different schools so the level has to coincide with the program make sense?? give it a couple weeks even a month and see if things change if not speak with the teacher. think of it this way what if they did put your child in an advanced class but she wasn't that advanced??? Then the child would struggle..I know what you mean by you think it's too easy for them my son is like that but once the levels are adjusted and they are on their level they should be fine :)
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010