can you eat lobster/crab meats or sea base during pregnancy?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did. I ate an ocassional muscle and clam, even though it's frowned upon. But it was always a normal part of my diet before that. And both my babies turned out fine. I also ate tuna, cause I lvoe it
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't risk it. Seafood tends to have high levels of mercury.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I did. not often, maybe once or twice. but I'm sure it won't hurt as long as you're not eating it all day every day :)
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes you can. You can get a list online of the seafood you should avoid due to mercury (pregnant or not) When I asked my Dr. about shrimp he said of course. He said that you would have to eat regular seafood (those not on the list) all day every day in order to experience any effects from mercury and that anything is fine in moderation besides the obvious alcoholic beverages, smoking, etc.
    Cook your meat thoroughly and dont eat cold cuts cold. Only drink pasteurized milk/juice and cheese.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I was in the same boat wanting and craving seafood... here is a site that gives you a list of safe seafood ;)...
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/isitsafe/
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010