Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Who do I call/what do I do when my husband is experiencing a mental break down?

We live in NE Ohio and he is a veteran of the armed forces if that helps.


Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • The VA has an emergency number to to call for service members. If he is acting really uncontrollable you can call 911 and the VA will pick him up from the hospital. If you do have to call make sure you tell the paramedics and/or police that he is a veteran.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • Does he have a Psychiatrist or counselor? I'd call them.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • If he is not being seen by a psychologist, then call his regular Doctor and ask them what you can do. Since he was in the armed forces I would think that there would be services available on the base that you could contact for info.


    Answer by Carajust at 1:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • Depends on the help you're looking for. My SO had a serious mental breakdown and went to take a walk and didn't come home for 2 days (with no car and no wallet). I called the police and filed a missing person's report and then called all his family and friends to see if they heard from him and to please let me know if they do. So you can try his family and friends and see if he's said anything to them that could help you help him. There are hotlines you can call if you think he is suicidal or if he is threatening anything.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • I saw a piece on this subject just a night or two ago on Fox News Channel. Go to their website and look for it. There is a special group of men who work with these guys and they have been through the same experiences. They gave out the web address, but I did not write it down. I sure hope you find it!!

    Answer by NannyB. at 2:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • My husband is a veterans representative and I asked him. He asked if there is a va center near you that your dh is enrolled in? If so call them and explain your situation they may be able to help. If that isnt an option call your local hospital and ask if they know of any mental health facilities.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • Call the VA. The recently supported Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as a treatable illness.

    Google "PTSD and Veterans" a lot will come up.

    Do something soon... he can be helped. Good luck to you!

    Answer by Niki_sd at 2:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • Go and see a Doc in the VA or any hospital, they will refer him to the proper Doc and will do proper evaluation on his condition.

    Answer by Ladyblue38 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2010