Obama Administration and Democrats spent the equivalent of $10,548 for each person living in the US. Thoughts?

Federal domestic spending increased a record 16 percent to $3.2 trillion in 2009, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, largely because of the huge economic stimulus package enacted to rescue the sinking economy.

The rise in spending was the largest since the Census Bureau began compiling the data in 1983. Overall, the spending total was the equivalent of $10,548 for each person living in the United States.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I just realized that he spent 2.5 times more money on my family then my husband made all of last year! I dread the taxes! We can't even pay our "share" of the budget even if we were taxed 100%!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• And the mortgages still aren't paid!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• And look where we are now. WOW!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• :( I wish he had sent it to me as a check!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• What exactly do you want me to do? Give up my SocialSecurity and Medicare and just roll over and die so that the future generation won't have to pay for me? LOL. You are a riot!!!
    ------
    Makes you wonder how people survived for those thousands of years BEFORE 1965!!!

No-one expects anyone to just roll over and die, as you put it. But is it too much to expect that people PLAN for retirement? That people take steps to ensure that they won't be living off the government when they retire? That must be really depressing to know that Congress is in charge of your life to that degree. I think I am beginning to see why some people are the way they are. They themselves are dependent on the government, for all they bash on welfare and medicaid for the younger generation! They are living a lie.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The biggest chunk of funds went to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, entitlement programs that are projected to consume ever larger portions of the federal budget as the population ages.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Last year? Since he's been in office?

What's the time frame?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• UpSheRises, (1) Read the linked article. (2) Read the Census Bureau's Consolidated Federal Funds Reports...

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• micheledo, you are correct. It's sad. Disgusting. I am happy to see (by his poll numbers) Americans are waking up.... Slowly... I just wish more people thought the way you do.
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Personally I see nothing wrong with spending related to Social Security ,Medicare,etc. We all deserve social security when we retire. I don't want MY SOcial Security payment taken away from me. (I AM retired and I DID work many years,contributed to the fund.....)We need Medicare too when we are no longer working. Or do you think Senior Citizens should manage without health care or social security? That would be a disaster....and early death.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010