swine/regular flu shots combined this year- should we get them?

I am so conflicted! We all have asthma (six of my kids & me) so on the recommendation of our asthma specialist, we always get the regular flu shot. We did NOT, however, do the swine flu shot last year, as there were many many safety issues, and unanswered questions about the effect on autism spectrum individuals (three of my kids & me are on the spectrum). Our asthma doc just told us that all the flu shots this year will include both regular flu and swine flu. How do I resove this dilemma?

mamahobbit

Asked by mamahobbit at 1:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• Oh this is a tough one! I would never want to tell someone else whether they "should" get the flu shot or not. I personally don't, and won't, but there are many variables. Good luck to you.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We haven't and won't. The Swine flu is just a scam to make money on the vaccinations. Far more people die from the regular flu each than the "swine flu" which was created by the gov't anyway.  The side effects can be much worse than the actual flu virus.  A mom on here, rkoloms, I think......her child had H1N1 last year......was sick for a few days, then got better.  It's not that big of a deal, but they want everyone to rush out and get it so they create panic calling it a pandemic.  Also, the flu shots still contain Thimerisol, so please don't give it to your little ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPG62S6_iI

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Both my son and I have asthma as well. My son has mild autism. Neither one of us or my daugher will be getting either shot this year or ever. That's just us though.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have asthma and my daughter has severe breathing problems but, none of us get the flu shot except hubby because the military requires it. We do get the rest of the shots though, spread out.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My husband had to get the H1N1 shot last year again for the military and was unconscious for 4 days and nearly died from the shot. We will never get it.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• nope... there have been ZERO studies about the potential risks of combining these vaccinations
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Nope. Never have. Never will.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have had asthma for twenty years and have never had a flu shot. We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine

You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

•  

With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_.  The children were treated twice daily for 6 months...

Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328 

Answer by rkoloms at 8:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010