I'm trying to ween my 11.5 month old.....it's not working..it's his favorite thing!! help.

lisadb

Asked by lisadb at 2:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what is?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• ween him from what?? bottle? breast? paci??
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• breast? Maybe give him a few months more to wean. Are you giving him a cup?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Have you cut back his booby time down yet? Start off with one feeding, then two, and so on. Until he's only at a night feeding. See if that works. You can also do it cold turkey. Say nope and don't let him. Don't cave.
    Personally, I self ween my children. My son nursed until he was 2 1/2 yrs old and my daughter who is 2 1/2 yrs old is still nursing still. So I gues that I'm not much help.lol!
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Why wean so early? He's just a baby and he knows what he needs! Give it to him!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Why are you weaning? Maybe he's not ready. It's perfectly normal to BF past age 1, and has a ot of added health benefits. If your child is having a hard time weaning, it's obviously not the right time.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• not to mention a major growth spurt knocking at the door.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• What are you weaning him from??
    myasmommy1107

Answer by myasmommy1107 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• How are you going about the process? Cooperation is not to be expected, but there are ways to make it easier.

First...drop ONE feeding only per week. That's to make it easier on BOTH of you.Start with a feeding that he won't miss much. Perhaps in the midafternoon. Distract and delay and stretch out the nursing interval. When that feeding is gone, then move on to the next least favorite. And so on. It will take as many weeks as times he nurses in a day. And like I said, don't expect him to cooperate.

Remember that each missed feeding must be replaced with formula for NOW. On the first birthday you can try cow's milk. Be aware he might not like it.

Don't do cold turkey unless you need surgery or chemo; it's an unpleasant process.

Good luck!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The only reason I want to ween him off my breast is that he has a mouth full of teeth and has made me bleed. His Dr said it's time to ween. He uses me as a pacifer...which is my fault. I love my little guy and I don't want to deny him anything that he needs.
    lisadb

Comment by lisadb (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010