How can I get my preschooler out of pullups at night?

I've been potty-training my 3yr old for some time now and he does really well, but now I need to get him from the pullups to his "bigboy" underwear at night, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.

missserenity

Asked by missserenity at 2:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've heard of waking the kids up in the night to go, mine are much younger and havent reached that milestone yet bu GL!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Some kids will have accidents up till they are 5 yrs old. With our 3 yr old. We just keep telling her when these diapers are gone. No more diapers. We have had a couple of accidents but she did fine with the fact she had to wear underwear.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We just put him in big boy underwear (while using a waterproof matress pad) and made sure we half-way work him up before we turned in for the night and took him to the bathroom. We'd carry him the bathroom, let him pee, then carry him back to bed and he would fall right back to sleep. We did this for a couple of weeks then only did it occasionally if he drank a lot close to bedtime. He's 4 now and will get up by himself to go pee if he needs to during the night.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• quit cold turkey, and my DH will wake DS up to go to the bathroom before he comes to bed
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Thanks Karamille
    missserenity

Comment by missserenity (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I tried quitting cold turkey and boy am I suffering. My daughter does not wake up by herself and if we wake her up to take her she will not go back to sleep!!! Every night around 2 am I am up with a screaming child that is soaked in urine. She has to have a bath; I have to change the sheets and blankets and I do not get her back down until 4 or 5. This is not working for us at all.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My only advice would be to get a mattress protector and have at it. Wake him up in the middle of the night to go potty if necessary. The only reason he might still be "going" in his pull up is because he knows its there....Good luck!
    SheIsMySunrise

Answer by SheIsMySunrise at 3:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My 4 1/2 yr old son still wets the bed at night so he wears pull ups. I heard alot of kids will wet for awhile and eventually will grow out of it.
    Erin P.

Answer by Erin P. at 8:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• drinks have to stop 1 hour before bed, go potty 30 minutes before bed, then again right before bed... put a waterproof mattress pad on and hope for the best...
    if your child pees during the night see if you can figure out WHEN that is, and then get up and wake them to have them use the potty.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just put him in them. Maybe the wetness will start him to getting up and potty at night. Also, try not to give him anything to drink, like 1 before bed and be sure to put him on the potty before he turns in at night. Good Luck
    Winerygirl

Answer by Winerygirl at 3:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2010