Orange spot in baby's wet diaper-anyone know what this is?

This is the second time (first time occuring several weeks ago) that I've noticed a spot of orange in my sons diaper. I'm starting to become concerned. Is this blood? He's doesn't seem ill. What is this?

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• possibly urine crystals, but I would call the pedi to make sure
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Had that w/ my last son too. It is disconcerting isn't it! My pediatrician was not bothered by it and said it was urine crystals, and that sometimes it happens when baby needs to drink more. If you are breastfeeding, (I was), you may need to drink more and offer breast to baby more often. It happened about 2 times for us too, if I am recalling correctly. Bottom line: do not worry!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 4:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• hard fart shrapnel
    Anonymous

• It was from his pee pee. I'd hope he's not farting from his pee pee. That would scare me more than a little orange spot.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My son had that and it scared me like crazy. But it was perfectly fine. It has something to do with the reaction between the diaper and pee. Since diapers are not completely sanitary it can create that reaction when pee hits it. Don't worry, but if your really worried go to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2008