Do you think they're sensationalizing the FDA findings at the farm?

Just saw a report on the FDA findings while inspecting the egg farms over the recall. I'm not saying the farms are doing a good job - the piles of manure and other conditions they described were terrible. But, as the list went on, it seemed like they were throwing in anything they could think of to say that sounded "icky" to "city" people. Frogs and snakes and bugs...it's a farm. It's not a clean room in a 40th floor penthouse. All farms have frogs and snakes and bugs. They even have manure (granted, not in such condensed quantities, like I said, they do have some serious issues at the egg farms). Do you expect your food to be raised in sterile conditions? Does it bother you if the farm where your food is grown has rodents and bugs?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the media sensationalizes almost everything BUT factory farms are DISGUSTING places.

They are factories, not farms, and they shouldn't have wildlife in them.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with UpSheRises. The conditions on farms in general are not the issue here. Its the factory farms that create inhumane and putrid living situations for animals. In turn, the food is contaminated. I did research on factory farming in college, and I was appalled by the 'living' conditions an abhorrent treatment of the animals. Its a reality that many Americans don't want to acknowledge.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah, the FDA is not exaggerating. The farm is in my homestate and on our local news ,they have been doing some in depth reporting and it is not a pretty picture.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Plus, egg/layer houses are elevated. The chickens poop and collects underneath in the "pit". It is cleaned on a schedule. They use the small bobcat tractors with buckets on the front to scoop the poop and put it in spreader trucks. They then take the pooper trucks and spread it on fields for farmers. Oh, they don't charge the farmer. They have a place for the poop and the farmer gets great fertilizer. The point though is that critters live in the poop. It piles up until it is time to spread. Go, find a layer farm, take a tour. Gross to some is normal business to others.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• jesse123456, please do some research on "battery cages" that the chickens are housed in on factory farms. I believe what you speak of exists only on the family farm.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with Kenzie. there have been numerous documentaries and reports on the appalling conditions in factory farming and meat processing, particularly foor pultry and beef. The politcal clout of corporate agriculture is immense , reaching from congress to your TV screen so contamination, recalls and the abuses will continue.. I have changed my shopping habits to minimise the risk. If you have old-fashioned family farms near you, see if you can buy direct .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I prefer to buy my meat from non factory farms. We eat buffalo, free range chicken, and beef from small family farms and kosher meat. I'm not a big meat eater anyway but I want to know that the animals are treated humanely and not stuffed all together in some chicken house or barn and that they are slaughtered humanely. I actually like the kosher meat the best, one of the Jewish laws says that animals that are to be slaughtered must be treated with great kindness.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i would rather not think of how it is wher eit comes from since i knwo their is no way a farm would be spotless or withough any animals umm hello it is a farm so yeah i can imagine
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010