If your child was friends with a child who has deaf parents...

Would you allow your child to spend time over at the deaf parents' house? They have profound hearing loss and use sign language to communicate. However, their child isn't hearing impaired and is fluent in both sign language and our spoken English. Would you be worried that they would be unable to care for your child if you weren't there to supervise? Would you allow your young child to stay at their house? Older child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Of course! How do you think they care for their own child?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• my DH 's best friend growing up had 2 deaf parents, and he spent lots of time over there. As long as the son is able to relay messages and is competent to call 911 in an emergency I'd say yes
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would after visiting and seeing how they watch the kids. I would do the same with any parents. My girl doesn't stay anywhere that I haven't been before.
    I don't think the hearing thing would matter. They obviously are doing something right, they've raised their own kid, and made sure it knew English and sign language.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it would depend a lot on the age of the child and on how well I knew the deaf parents. I have a few deaf friends who are excellent parents, but their mates have their hearing, so that makes it a little different.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Not sure. Maybe. i would look at as a way for my child to learn some thing. He could pick up on sign launuage. It was also do with the age of my child.
    jennyfrances

Answer by jennyfrances at 2:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Of course.. they are able to care for their own child. I would treat them the same as I would parents with hearing.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 2:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just cause these parents can't hear what makes them any different then parents that can?
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Depends on the parents themselves. Just as I would want to get to know any parents first. I dont think the mere fact of them being deaf would make them less able to care for children if that's what you're asking. They probably make up for it by keeping the children in sight, feeling vibrations in the floor and they have their son to interpret what they are saying. So yes, of course I would. I would treat them the same as any other parent of my child's friends.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't keep them away just bc the parents were deaf. If they have a child of their own, they obviously know how to care for him/her. As with any house I sent my child to, I would get to know the parents first, though.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would not mind them being friends. But I would not leave my small children at their house over night because they cannot hear. Normally if a child is in trouble and small they make a lot of noise. Or if there is a fire there is a sound so I would be looking out for my own child's safety and prefer to be there when they play and if the parents prove to be really responsible let them stay when they get older during the day were at least the parents would be awake.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010