Thoughts?

I wanna hear your thoughts on this theory I have heard...

One of Christians main beliefs is that body and soul are separate. This is why the eternal soul can live after the mortal body ceases to function. So let's continue with this. What if gender and/or sexual orientation is attached to the soul rather than the body? This would make sense since we will be reunited with our families in the afterlife. Would you really want to be something other than what they knew or no longer attracted to your spouse?

Continuing with this thought process, it is the soul that determines what gender you feel you are as well as the gender that you are attracted to. God determines which soul you get. Yet it is nature that determines what body you get. We live in a Fallen world though so it is flawed and mistakes happen. This is evident with birth defects. So what if God puts your soul in the correct body but nature screws it up?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 2:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• That is very interesting and a good point.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you're talking about transgenders, I actually completely agree. :)

In terms of homosexuality, though, I don't believe homosexuality is a mistake or a flaw of nature. As my gay best friend's mother says, "God doesn't make mistakes". :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'm actually talking about both bandgeek. Many transgenders do not believe that God made a mistake either and that having to go through what they did is part of their journey and God intended that. I'm not trying to imply nature really made a mistake either. Just trying to say maybe nature and God weren't on the same page really during the creation of these people.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Man is actually triunal--spirit, soul and body. The soul is made up of the mind, will, and emotions. God creates it all, including the body. There is no separation of what God creates and what nature creates. So I don't see how nature can screw up what God has created. Until we are regenerated in our spirits(this is what happens at conversion, when one accepts the Lord Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior), we are ruled by sin and we have no other choice. Once the Holy Spirit comes to indwell our human spirits, we then have a choice about whether we will follow our old sinful nature or our new spiritual nature. That battle takes place in the soul, which again is made up of our minds, wills, and emotions. When the spirit is unregenerated, there is no battle and the old sin nature rules unabated. The spirit is regenerated instantly, but the regeneration is a process in the soul, and that process is called sanctification.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Haha, I know your stances well enough to know you don't think they're mistakes. Perhaps mistake was the wrong word - I was trying to find a word for non-intentional... :)

I actually agree with your idea that sometimes they're not on the same page. Although I don't think that's the case every time, especially with homosexuality. I think that people are homosexual on "purpose", if you get what I mean. Transgenders, I do believe, probably do occur as a result of nature God not being on the same page most of the time, though I do like the idea that God intended it to be part of people's journey. I also think that its supposed to help us learn to truly love and accept others who are "different" than us. We can't learn to do that if we're not presented with people who often get labeled as the "other" rather than loved and accepted... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I totally get it. It was just something that came up in a group I belong to and it is something I have heard in the community numerous times. I think it is an awesome theory but really want to hear what Christians have to say...if they are willing to really comment, lol.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• God oversees all humans creation. Birth defects are not exactly afreak nature event they are tests from god both for the parents and for the child. God tests us all indifferent ways. Some of us see people with lives that seem more complicated than our or easier than ours but we do not know in what ways they have, are, or will be tested and God tests his most beloved slaves the most. Since god oversees all humans then to say that you recieved the wrong body is to say that God made a mistake. If God makes mistakes he cannot be omnipotent and all-seeing/all-knowing. Believing you are supposed to be another gender than what you were born with is a deception and confusion of the Shaiyton (Satan/the devil). He leads people astray by making them doubt themselves and their god.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 2:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Haha, I'm not sure how many other Christians would comment, or what they would say. I know there are a few you might get decent responses out of. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have to say, your question really made me chuckle. I have heard many things and have been asked many questions while in the Ministry and I must say...this has not been one of them ;-) To be honest, there is not Biblical basis for this line of thinking. The Bible does not support it. The Bible has plenty to say about human sexuality. Most basic to our understanding of sex is that God created two (and only two) genders: “ male and female created he them.” (Genesis 1:27). All the modern-day speculation about numerous genders—or even a gender “continuum” with unlimited genders—is unbiblical.....(CONT)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 3:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• In Psalm 139, we learn that God fashions each one of us.
    Psa 139:13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. Psa 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. Psa 139:15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Psa 139:16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. God’s creation of each individual must surely include His designation of gender/sex...(CONT)

missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 3:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010