7 month old hates baby food.

My 7 month old son won't eat baby food or cereal. I can usually get him to eat four or so spoons of food then he starts cry, screaming, trying to get away from me, things like that. I tried one of those feeder bottle things, same thing. So, I went back to trying the spoon method. I don't know what to do. I've tried rice cereal, oatmeal, he likes bananas okay but bananas every day? I can't see feeding the same thing to him every single time. What could the problem be?
He's never been diagnosed with any sensory issues, nothing wrong with his mouth, pallatte, or anything like that. He "gets it", he knows how to eat out of a spoon, but pitches a fit about baby foods.

FuzzybugsMommy

Asked by FuzzybugsMommy at 2:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Him not liking food has nothing to do with sensory issues or any disorders, he just simply doesn't like the taste. Stop feeding him purred food if he doesn't like it. Force feeding him is only going to make things worse. I personally suggest starting him on solid foods. Really easy things at first and then advancing into more toddler-esque foods. If you know the smell of pureed foods you can only imagine what they taste like, I wouldn't eat them either.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Time for table food. My son did the same thing at the same aga. I started table foods and he was happy as a clam. Banana, avocado, sweet potato, bread, bits of meat, steamed veggies, pastas. Anything soft :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If he can self feed,let him. Don't use that feeder bottle thing. Those are bad news! Food now is just training. Breast or bottle will nourish him just fine until he can exclusively self feed. Just cut up the food into tiny bites and let him try it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You can just give your child "real food." They don't need baby cereal and jarred baby food. They sell that stuff to make money and people buy it cause it's easy. Just slice up some avocado and let him munch on it... that sort of thing. There is no reason a child needs rice cereal or nearly liquid mushy foods. At 7 months you can just let him eat with his hands. Just make sure things are cut up and prepared in ways that are safe for a baby. Often times it's a lot more interesting and fun if you let them feed themselves! Hopefully that helps.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 2:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Have you tasted the stuff yourself? I have & I wouldn't eat it either. Honestly, I never fed my kids anything I wouldn't eat myself. So, no baby food jars for my kids. My kids always ate whatever the rest of the family ate. Unless it was super spicy. Then I would use some of the food before spicing it up too much. If you are concerned about consistency and their ability to chew, buy a cheap ricer. But, really, I always just cut and mashed to the point they wouldn't choke. Also, my kids liked to feed themselves. Did they make a mess - you bet! But, they want to do things themselves even at the tender age of 7 months. Hand your baby the spoon with a little food in the bowl and see what happens. But, most of all, ditch the bland jars of baby food and give him what you're having for dinner.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My DD never ate baby food. She would spit it out everytime, and then I started to give her table food a she ate great.
    myasmommy1107

Answer by myasmommy1107 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My children never wanted or liked anything they couldn't feed themselves. I started following the baby led weaning method (a mainly European thing, but you can find stuff online) with my first and didn't even try jarred food with my second. My children also didn't want to eat until they were about 9 months old. Around 6 months I would start giving them cooked whole broccoli trees etc while we ate dinner, but they didn't really do more then play with it until about 9 months. There is nothing that says you HAVE to feed your child anything other then breast milk or formula at 6 months old. If he doesn't like it that may be an indication his body isn't ready for it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• have you tried buying fresh fruits and/or vegetables and blending them to a liquid for him? I did this with my daughter and she preferred them over baby food. It does take longer to prepare but its better in the long run
    Bran9545

Answer by Bran9545 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My daughters were bith the same way so I started getting canned veggies and cooking them really well and letting them feed their selves they just didnt like being feed. the dr reccommended me letting them play with spoons in their high chair it worked they are both healthy and happy and eat anythig i put in front of them not picky eaters at all.
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 2:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't blame him! You're trying to force feed the poor thing... 4 spoonfuls IS a serving for a baby. You can't expect him to eat the whole jar!

I would back way off... he obviously doesn't really wants solids yet and there's nothing wrong with that. He doesn't *need* baby food and he's still really young for solids.

Back off for a while and then start offering appropriate table foods (steamed veggies, etc...) when the family is eating dinner. Let him feed himself. Make it fun for him, feeding shouldn't be a struggle. Let him eat however much he wants, don't push him to eat a certain amount.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010