Do grandparents have rights to see their grandchildren even if their parents don't

The parents are mad at the grandparents for talking with their other child and are not letting them see their own grandchildren. Is their some kind of law that allows them to see them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, they can petition for it. I have seen a few cases. I would think if they did do it it would be because they love their grandchild deeply.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• There is no law against witholding visitation from a grandparent. Only legal rights can be claimed if the child is being witheld from the legal gaurdian, adoptive parent, or biological parent. Grandparents do not have any legal rights unless appointed otherwise by the court.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have heard of the grandparents having their own rights even if the parents did not want rights.
    Bran9545

Answer by Bran9545 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• with my adoptions they had the right to ask the Judge for some sort of contact with the child even though the bio parental rights were removed. They had to fill a form (never did).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The grandparents can petition the courts and if the courts agree that the grandparents are fit and should see their grandchildren then they will be granted visitation just like in divorce custody cases. I have heard of a few cases, but it takes money to hire the lawyer to do it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The (family) laws can vary by state. Unless the grandparents are proven to be unfit in some way- the grandparents should be allowed to see their grandchildren. Please people don't use your children as emotional pawns in some sick game of revenge. And dont deny them the love & adoration of their grandparents. It's a love that will enhance their lives!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• in most states, grandparents have no rights...but a few states will order visitation under certain circumstances...either google grandparents rights in your state or contact a lawyer to find out the laws in your area.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 2:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think the parent has the right to decide if they want the grandparents involved or not. Yes, some will abuse that right I don't think it should be taken away from them. A lot of people have had to cut their parents out of their lives for good reason.
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 2:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• A grandparent generally has no real rights to see a child. This is one reason why Grandparents should focus on maintaining a healthy relationship with their child so that their child will want them to be around. Yes some people do try to keep the child away because of the divorce. But if both the parents agree that they do not want the grandparents in their child's life, that should be there call because it is their child at the end of the day. If a person wants to break the cycle of a dysfunctional family they have to sometimes keep their children away. It's not fair for a grandparents to think they have a right to see their grandchildren. It's a privilege.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• HELL to the NO, and thank God for that! :D Not that my MIL would ever care enough about our kids to try!

It varies by state, but here in MN there are no grandparents rights. I think it gets messier in cases of parental abandonment/death/etc though. Call a family lawyer, or go to your local law library.
    JohnnyCakes

Answer by JohnnyCakes at 7:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010